Start Date: 6/15/2020 12:00 PM EDT
End Date: 7/24/2020 12:00 PM EDT
Venue Name: Online through NAPD's LMS System
National Association for Public Defense
June 15 - July 24, 2020
Taught online with 6 90-minute small group meetings (including Evening and Weekend Options)
Meeting times will be determined by poll of the registrants
Price $295 for NAPD members, $345 for non members
Apply for a Scholarship Here
REGISTRATION DEADLINE - June 9 at COB
Leading During Times of Trouble and Beyond (for current or future attorney supervisors)
Led by Lori James-Townes
Change is not coming – it is here. The global pandemic has impacted the way you operate and how you lead. The current situation has challenged even the greatest leaders. Are your personal leadership skills effective during this unusual time? Does it need to change? What do you need to lead in this new normal and provide the leadership your teams need? What challenges are you facing? Some of the tools you relied on before are now missing or unavailable. What now? Learn some new ones!
Each week for the first 5 weeks you will have
- 2-3 hours of "at your own pace" videos and readings
- a 90 minute small group session - time to be determined through a poll of learners
There will be one additional meeting a month later.
Join Our Mastermind Course -
This course will help leaders define the kind of a leader they aspire to be. We will cover:
• Concepts and skills used by exemplary leaders during times of crisis, change and beyond
• Ways to help staff struggling in these times, while promoting self-care in your team, etc.
• Tools to keep your teams working together remotely
• Why coaching and leadership is more important now than ever; and the tools to help you master this skill
• Participants will develop a personal philosophy of leadership
• Participants will also develop an awareness of the moral /ethical responsibilities as well as one’s own style of leadership
• This program integrates experiential learning exercises with readings and discussions of traditional leadership theories through weekly meetings and self-directed learning.
• Participants will be supported as they navigate leadership after the end of the course
Lori James-Townes, NAPD Assistant Training Director
Lori earned her Master’s Degree in clinical social work (University of Maryland SSW) and her B.A. in Social Work from Morgan State University. Lori has over 25 years of clinical, training, and organizational development experience, which includes program development, program management, collegiate instruction, as well as leadership and management training. Lori has served as faculty for several universities, and as a member of national and regional leadership, development, communication, and team-building trainings. Lori is also President of Expand-Now, LLC. Through this entity she can fulfill her lifelong passion of adding value to others through teaching and learning. She is a part-time Clinical Professor in the Family Studies and Community Development Department at Towson University. Prior to joining the Towson University family, she served as Director of Leadership and Program Development at the Maryland Office of Public Defender which has more than 800 employees across the state of Maryland. While in this position, she demonstrated her ability to help others grow in the areas of teamwork, leadership and management. She also led the agency’s social work staff, consultants, and interns. In 2015, The Daily Record Newspaper named her as one of Maryland’s Top 100 Women. In addition to working as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, she is also an author, and a John Maxwell Certified Coach, Facilitator, Teacher, Trainer, and Speaker.