The Office of the Ohio Public Defender is seeking a zealous and committed Assistant Public Defender 1 in the Prison Legal Services (“PLS”) Section of our Legal Department. Advocacy is at the core of a PLS attorney’s job: attorneys in the group represent incarcerated people before the Ohio Parole Board and they represent people who face reimprisonment in parole and postrelease control revocation hearings. PLS attorneys are flexible: they vigorously defend clients in revocation hearings and make compelling affirmative cases for release when before the Ohio Parole Board. PLS section attorneys also provide a legal orientation to all individuals sentenced to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction and answer questions pertaining to criminal sentences, jail-time credit, release mechanisms, and other common inquiries.
This attorney position will be stationed in the Columbus office, will work closely with five fellow PLS attorneys, their supervising attorney, and an administrative professional, and will collaborate with colleagues on client advocacy across the Legal Department. A successful candidate will have strong advocacy skills and a client-centered ethos.
Essential duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Represents indigent individuals at parole and postrelease control violation hearings around the State of Ohio. This requires adequate preparation and investigation to engage in an adversarial administrative hearing process.
- Represents indigent individuals in hearings before the Ohio Parole Board. This requires preparation involving close contacts with client’ family and community-support systems. It also requires written and oral advocacy.
- Provides legal services to incarcerated individuals in various Ohio Prisons.
- Conducts legal research & prepares motions & other pleadings reviews drafts of pleadings, briefs, motions, & memoranda.
- Assigns paralegals & other personnel in the preparation of case files, or to collect evidence or data for case work.
- Collaborates with other attorneys in the Legal Department on strategic litigation and advocacy.
- Works with Legal Chief Counsel & PLS Supervisor regarding administrative tasks related to operation of prison legal services section.
**Please submit a Cover Letter and Writing Sample with your application. Applications without a cover letter and writing sample will not be reviewed.**