Public Defender Services of Lane County, Inc., is seeking a trial lawyer to join our team in Oregon’s beautiful Willamette Valley. We’re a group of two dozen lawyers who believe in client-centered representation and leading by example as we try to make a difference for our clients. The ideal candidate will be an effective negotiator and zealous trial lawyer, who can triage a heavy caseload and come in to work every day spoiling for the good fight.
About Public Defender Services of Lane County
Public Defender Services of Lane County is a private non-profit organization committed to defending the rights of people who are facing a loss of their personal liberty due to the actions of the state. We represent adults and juveniles charged with everything from trespass to murder. We fight for the rights of people who are accused of violating their probation, and for those who are facing jail because they are behind on their child support payments. We fight for the rights of parents and children when the State becomes involved in termination proceedings, and we fight for the rights of those afflicted with mental illness when the state tries to hold them in the state hospital against their will.
The office has a rich history of defense advocacy, and has been a non-profit public defender since 1977. You’ll have the benefit of mentorship from attorneys with decades of experience, as well as new perspectives from newer members of our team. Our office qualifies for public interest loan forgiveness, subject to the whims of the federal government. We offer excellent starting benefits including three weeks of vacation, a generous retirement plan, competitive health insurance and the satisfaction from fighting the good fight and being the champion of the underdog.
We strive to put our clients first, and zealously pursue our client’s best interest regardless if it’s a person facing a single charge of criminal trespass or someone facing allegations of violent felonies.
Our Mission Statement: We treat our clients with dignity, empower them to make informed choices and fight to defend their rights.
Our goals (how we fulfill our Mission):
1. We deliver outstanding legal services.
2. We uphold the presumption of innocence without regard to the accusations against our clients.
3. We deal ethically with our clients, witnesses, the courts, and all other representatives of the criminal justice system.
4. We strive to lead by example in the criminal justice community.
5. We provide a supportive environment where employees and clients are treated with respect and dignity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, economic and cultural background, religion, age or disability.