The Far West Texas Regional Public Defender’s Office is seeking an investigator for lawyers representing those facing criminal charges but too poor to hire legal counsel in Brewster, Culberson, Jeff Davis, Hudspeth and Presidio Counties. The office is located in Alpine, Texas. Applicants must be willing to relocate to reside within the region. Compensation includes salary of $45,000 per year, plus benefits of employment, including health insurance and retirement. Position to start July 1, 2021.
Duties include but are not limited to:
1. Conducting interviews with clients to determine facts, mental health status, and factors affecting bail.
2. Locating and interviewing witnesses, victims, and experts.
3. Searching social media and online sources of clients and witnesses.
4. Identifying experts for the defense, getting estimates, coordinating work.
5. Serving subpoenas.
6. Collecting records.
7. Inspecting scenes of offenses and taking photographs.
8. Developing mitigation cases.
9. Notarizing statements.
10. Testifying in court.