Civil Defense Practice Supervisor
Still She Rises, Inc. (SSR) provides free legal representation to pregnant women, women with children, or women who are child caregivers and have been brought into the criminal, child welfare, and housing legal systems. Still She Rises seeks to employ highly motivated individuals with a commitment to indigent defense. Founded in North Tulsa, Still She Rises offers client-centered, innovative, and holistic legal representation. We honor the dignity of the women we serve by championing our clients’ individual goals while also targeting systemic issues impacting the larger community.
The Civil Practice Supervisor has responsibilities in three distinct areas:
- Direct Representation of Clients (limited caseload)
- Defend clients in a variety of civil legal matters including eviction, small claims, actions for damages, and social security appeals
- Represent clients in criminal record expungement and court debt relief applications.
- Engage in other affirmative litigation on behalf of individual clients, selected in collaboration with the Program Director and Executive Director.
- Collaborate with other members of a client’s defense team to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to combat the variety of legal and bureaucratic burdens placed on a client.
- Collaborate with other attorneys on representation of a mutual client in multiple venues, including coordinating legal strategies, co-counseling appearances/hearings.
- Supervision of Civil Attorneys
- Supervise the day-to-day work of 1-3 attorneys including case assignments, practice priority implementation, and supervision of appearances, hearings and trials as needed.
- Support civil attorneys in their professional development including providing regular feedback, coaching staff in applying best practices, and identifying appropriate resources and training events (in collaboration with the Director of Training).
- Civil Practice Development
- Develop and elevate the standard of practice through innovative motions, arguments, and strategies
- Collaborate with the Director of Training to develop and implement training materials for new staff as well as ongoing skill and knowledge trainings.
- Collaborate with the Program Director to develop and implement policies, procedures and tools used to develop the practice area and coordinate with the interdisciplinary practice as a whole.
Civil Defense Practice Supervisor
||Still She Rises, Tulsa
||Varies with Experience
|Posting Start Date:
To be eligible, applicants must have:
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of civil legal aid or a related field
- D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school
- Membership in good standing to the Oklahoma bar or eligibility for admission to the Oklahoma Bar
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Experience supervising attorneys
- Ability to litigate and confidently engage in skillful negotiations with judges, prosecutors, and other actors within the systems our clients navigate.
- Excellent research, writing and courtroom advocacy skills
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams
- A commitment to defending indigent individuals charged with criminal offenses in the North Tulsa community
- Experience and interest in working in and with racially and socioeconomically oppressed communities
- Ability to think critically and quickly on their feet
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Applicants, if hired, must:
- Sit for the Oklahoma State Bar Examination or submit the appropriate materials necessary for waiver
||This listing expires on: 9/12/2021