Misdemeanor Defender, Hill Country Regional Public Defender Office
The Hill County Regional Public Defender Office Misdemeanor Public Defender represents persons who are not financially able to hire legal counsel in Kerr, Gillespie, Kendall, Bandera and Medina Counties primarily for those facing misdemeanor criminal charges.
This position provides a full range of legal services to indigent defendants in the assigned misdemeanor court as well as assist in the daily operation of the Public Defender Office. The Misdemeanor Public Defender primary responsibility is to handle the misdemeanor case load. Additional responsibilities will be assisting in juvenile cases, mental health dockets, and assisting felony defenders in felony trial preparation, trials and consulting with clients and witnesses, and appeals as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS , AND ABILITIES
1) Ability to review new cases assigned to the HCRPDO.
2) Ability to prepare cases for representation in court.
3) Ability to meet with defendants regarding legal issues.
4) Ability to routinely make jail visits for defendants incarcerated.
5) Negotiates plea arrangements with counsel for the state.
6) Prepares files and represents clients in pretrial motions and hearings.
7) Consults with clients regarding legal process and preparation for trial when necessary.
8) Prepares cases and witnesses for trial.
9) Represents the client in bench and jury trials.
10) Prepares and files appellate briefs and appears in appellate courts when necessary.
11) Performs all other duties as assigned.