Lateral Family Defense Attorney
Still She Rises, Inc. (SSR) provides free legal representation to pregnant women, women with children, or women who are child caregivers and have been brought into the criminal, child welfare, and housing legal systems. Still She Rises seeks to employ highly motivated individuals with a commitment to indigent defense. Founded in North Tulsa, Still She Rises offers client-centered, innovative, and holistic legal representation. We honor the dignity of the women we serve by championing our clients’ individual goals while also targeting systemic issues impacting the larger community.
The Family Defense Practice Attorney embodies how we approach this work in the following aspects:
- Client-Centered Direct Representation of Clients
- Represent clients against abuse and neglect allegations in juvenile deprived proceedings. This includes representation at the first show cause appearance through to adjudication and/or termination trials.
- Center decision-making on all matters on clients, with a focus on working to meet client’s goals
- Advocate for clients in other legal venues such as family civil court as needed.
- Holistic & Collaborative Representation
- Collaborate with other members of a client’s defense team, including advocates, social workers and investigators to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to combat the variety of social service, governmental and legal burdens placed on a client.
- Collaborate with other attorneys on representation of a mutual client in multiple venues, including coordinating legal strategies, co-counseling appearances/hearings.
- Develop and elevate the standard of practice through innovative motions, arguments, and strategies
- Commit to ongoing training and development of skills in order to provide excellent and zealous representation to our clients
To apply, please go to Stillsherises.org, click the Careers tab, and upload a cover letter and resume in one document when prompted. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the position.
Still She Rises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.
Lateral Family Defense Attorney
||Still She Rises, Inc.
||Varies with Experience
|Posting Start Date:
To be eligible, applicants must have:
- At least 3 years of experience in the field of family defense or a related field
- D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school
- Membership in good standing to the Oklahoma bar or eligibility for admission to the Oklahoma Bar
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Knowledge and experience of juvenile abuse, neglect, and dependency law
- Ability to litigate and confidently engage in skillful negotiations with judges, prosecutors, and other actors within the systems our clients navigate. (pulled from another part of lateral hire version)
- Excellent research, writing and courtroom advocacy skills
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams
- A commitment to defending indigent individuals in the North Tulsa community throughout at all stages of juvenile abuse, neglect, and dependency proceedings
- Experience and interest in working in and with racially and socioeconomically oppressed communities
- Ability to think critically and quickly on their feet
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Applicants, if hired, must:
- Sit for the Oklahoma State Bar Examination or submit the appropriate materials necessary for waiver
||This listing expires on: 9/21/2021