Supervising Staff Attorney
The Capital Area Private Defender Service (“CAPDS”) is a 501(c)(3) organization charged with improving the quality of indigent criminal defense in Travis County through supporting, managing, and training assigned counsel. We are a Managed Assigned Counsel program that handles the vast majority of indigent defense cases in Travis County; we work closely with attorneys to enhance the quality of indigent defense services and obtain best outcomes for clients. CAPDS uses a holistic defense approach to representation, placing the client at the center of the representation.
We are seeking a full-time Supervising Attorney with a commitment to excellence and indigent defense. This position will report to the Director of Legal Services and work with a team of attorneys responsible for monitoring and mentoring managed assigned counsel program attorneys.
• Consult with, advise, and assist panel attorneys in the conduct of pending cases.
• Consult with panel members regarding defense strategies.
• Assist panel members with preparation for trial, including voir dire and punishment hearings. Act as second chair in court proceedings as required.
• Observe panel members in court for the purpose of performance reviews and evaluations.
• Assist panel members with personal bonding efforts and working toward best outcomes in the jail reduction docket.
• Work day-to-day in the courthouse with attorneys in docket and supervise attorney work in the court room, both in person and remotely.
• Monitor trial settings in the criminal courts and communicate outcomes and challenges.
• Stay up to date on relevant case law and procedural changes and advise attorneys of such.
• Evaluate and advise the directors concerning the qualifications, abilities, and performance of panel members. Together with the directors, evaluate the work of panel attorneys.
• Assist in the continued development and dissemination of standards and guidelines, procedures, and polices that ensure quality indigent defense services in Travis County
• Support the Legal Services Team in the development and training of panel attorneys and with monitoring the quality of defense representation.
• Receive, investigate and respond to inquiries and comments from members of the public, clients, and from members of the judiciary.
• Attend meetings of the Review Committee as necessary to provide information relevant to the conduct of panel attorneys.
• Work with training director and other staff attorneys to support and enhance the training and mentoring programs.
• Assist the directors with duties as delegated with extensive latitude for use of initiative and independent judgment.
• Attend training and education programs to maintain and enhance skills required in the practice of criminal law. Must complete a minimum of 25 hours of CLE per year. The
CLE must relate to criminal law, ethics, and/or law office management/administration.
• Work related travel as necessary.
Salary commensurate with experience. Compensation includes employer-paid health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurances, as well as an employer-funded retirement plan and generous leave policy. Position may involve telework due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please apply by sending your cover letter, resume, and list of three references in one document, addressed to Director of Legal Services Ariel Payan, to: email@example.com. Place “Staff Mentoring Attorney” in the subject line. Priority given to applications received by September 1, 2021. Position is open until filled. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
Position is open until filled. Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
CAPDS is an equal opportunity employer that values equity and diversity.