Regional Trial Division Director
The Missouri State Public Defender System (MSPD) is seeking to hire two or more individuals to serve as Regional Trial Division Directors. The trial division of MSPD includes 33 trial offices, employing 530 attorneys and support staff, and provides representation in over 70,000 cases per year.
Placement will be in Missouri, with specific office location to be determined based upon the needs of MSPD and candidate availability. Must be willing to travel the state as needed.
The mission of the Missouri State Public Defender System is to provide high quality, zealous advocacy for indigent people who are accused of crime in the State of Missouri.
The lawyers, administrative staff, and support staff of the Public Defender System will ensure that this advocacy is not compromised.
To provide this uncompromised advocacy, the Defender System will supply each client with a high-quality, competent, ardent defense team at every stage of the process in which public defenders are necessary.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION
The Trial Division Director will be responsible for:
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
- Assisting offices to provide innovative, collaborative work environments that meet client needs and provide zealous representation.
- Providing leadership development, mentoring, and evaluation of local district offices and District Defenders.
- Handling a caseload in an exemplary manner and implementing and assisting in strategic litigation as necessary.
- Addressing personnel matters involving staff in consultation with Human Resources.
- Collaborating with other Director level staff to fulfill MSPD Mission.
- Communicating division level needs and issues to MSPD Directors.
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Graduation from an ABA Accredited law school.
- At least 5 years of criminal defense experience handling major felonies.
- Applicants must also either be currently licensed to practice law in the State of Missouri or their license in another state must be in good standing and they must be willing and able to seek admission to the Missouri bar immediately upon hire.
- Must have demonstrated experience leading others.
- Must have effective communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in both oral and written form.
- Ability to use all necessary electronic systems, including all required e-filing systems and records management systems, as well as case tracking databases.
- Must be able to effectively handle emergency or crisis situations in a calm and effective manner.
- Must be able to process, organize and manage complex litigation.
- Must be able to handle frequent interruptions and multiple calls and inquiries.
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively interact with clients, employees, colleagues and court personnel in a respectful and appropriate manner.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and able to handle confidential information.
- Must be willing and able to treat every client, witness, employee, and colleague with dignity and respect.
- Must possess exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Must have a keenly developed and uncompromising set of personal and professional ethics.
- Prior or current service as a trial public defender.
- Prior or current administrative or supervisory experience.
- Prior experience handling personnel issues, including employee disciplinary issues.
- Experience working with economically and/or racially diverse populations.
Starting salary range $106,000 - $113,00/year contingent upon experience. In addition, the State of Missouri offers an excellent benefits package including retirement; health, life, and long-term disability insurance; deferred compensation plan; paid holidays; vacation and sick leave; and excellent training opportunities.