Staff Attorney (September 2022)
The Office of the Appellate Defender (OAD) seeks a Staff Attorney, for a three-year position, to join its outstanding team.
OAD is one of New York City’s oldest providers of legal representation to people who cannot afford to pay an attorney for the appeal of a felony conviction. OAD’s core mission is to ensure full and equal access to justice by providing high-quality and client-centered representation throughout the appellate process. This approach enables our attorneys to hone in on the best issues for appeal, to tell our clients’ stories effectively, and to identify and pursue other forms of advocacy that are most effective for each client’s unique circumstances. OAD is committed to developing and litigating innovative legal theories that most effectively demonstrate the injustices that our clients have experienced.
OAD is devoted to recruiting, hiring, and retaining a staff of lawyers from different cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, ages, genders, and physical abilities, especially lawyers from those groups that have historically been underrepresented in the legal profession and appellate practice. OAD recognizes that our clients are predominantly Black and Brown people who deserve unbiased, legal representation and to be seen as human beings beyond their criminal convictions. We firmly believe that a diverse staff is important to providing this standard of representation. Every OAD staff member shares a profound commitment to public service and to defending people who have been disadvantaged by legal and economic systems.
Additionally, OAD strives to improve the quality of indigent defense through our intensive training program for new Staff Attorneys. Each OAD Staff Attorney is closely supervised through a process called “double-teaming.” Under the “double-teaming” method, the Supervisor assigned to the case reads the appellate record and works closely with the Staff Attorney to identify issues and develop a theory of the case. The Supervisor also edits drafts of the briefs and helps to prepare the Staff Attorney for oral argument. Each oral argument is mooted by the Supervisor and a team of colleagues. This model provides comprehensive training to Staff Attorneys, while ensuring that OAD clients receive exceptional advocacy. After three years of this intensive, hands-on training, OAD alumni depart prepared to provide zealous representation to clients at all stages of the criminal process.
During the interview process, we are excited to share more about our “double-teaming” supervision model, team discussion groups and one-on-one mentoring, decarceration advocacy, and racial justice in the appellate process. Our current staff attorney model is a three-year fellowship with the possibility of a one- or two- year extension.
- Representing people who cannot afford legal representation convicted of felonies in Manhattan and the Bronx on direct appeal in the Appellate Division and the New York Court of Appeals; in post-conviction motions and hearings; in hearings to determine classification level pursuant to the Sex Offender Registration Act (SORA); and in federal habeas corpus challenges to state court convictions;
- Extensive researching and writing of appellate briefs;
- Case conferencing, strategy development, client communication, and legal visits;
- Advising clients of potential appellate options, including withdrawal of appeals where appropriate, and negotiating pleas or other remedies following reversal of conviction;
- Collaborating with the Client Services Director and Client Services Coordinators to address prison condition issues and to assist clients with parole proceedings and re-entry preparation
Applications will be considered and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should submit a resume, writing sample, and cover letter. The cover letter should address.
1) Why the applicant is interested in working at OAD;
2) What skills or experiences make the applicant a strong candidate.
Application materials should be addressed to Margaret Knight, Recruitment Director, and sent by email firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line in the email should state: Staff Attorney Position 2022. If necessary, questions may be directed to the same email address, with Question in the subject line
Staff Attorney (September 2022)
||Office of the Appellate Defender
||New York, NY
||Salary for OAD staff attorneys is based on years of experience, and currently starts at $71,436 for law graduates.
|Posting Start Date:
||• J.D. degree;
• Admission to the New York Bar, ability to promptly secure such admission, or registration for July 2022 New York Bar Examination;
• Outstanding legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills;
• Demonstrated commitment to representing people experiencing poverty who were convicted of crimes;
• Strong belief in the value and importance of communication with and respect for clients;
• Ability to work collaboratively and independently;
• Prior criminal defense experience, including participation in law school clinics and internships, particularly at the appellate level, is highly preferred.
||This listing expires on: 12/11/2021