Position Information Message
DIRECTOR OF TRAINING CONNECTICUT PUBLIC DEFENDERS
The Division of Public Defender Services is recruiting for a Director of Training who has a passion for developing, coaching and motivating our staff accomplish our mission of zealous representation of our clients and is energetic, dynamic and dedicated to indigent defense. The successful candidate will be highly experienced in criminal defense litigation with a successful background in developing and implementing legal education and criminal defense practice and procedure.
The Connecticut Division of Public Defender Services has a national reputation for the high level training that is provided to our staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will have an exciting opportunity to work on the following:
- Responsible for the administration, development and implementation of a Division wide training and professional development that is effective and meaningful for Attorneys and Defense Team staff; and ensuring mandatory training requirements are met;
- Cultivate and collaborate with staff and subject matter experts on best practices related to our practice and who can assist in the development and implementation of training programs;
- Presenting training programs, facilitating large and small group discussions, providing coaching and feedback at skills exercise and mock trial programs;
- Collaborates with senior management and Division staff to identify training needs and sets training strategy and policy for the Division;
- Research’s, prepares and publishes training materials, legal outlines and best practices guides;
- Coordinating, planning and implementing Division legal intern program;
- Develops and implements on boarding for newly hired Attorneys;
- Collaborates with Sections of the Division to develop training programs to meet their specific needs;
- Develop strong network of partnerships both within the Division and with our local stakeholders, community partners and State and National groups;
- Develop and implement communication and feedback methods to insure that he Division can identify, discuss and develop strategies to address training issues impacting our staff and clients;
- Collaborates with Litigation Director and others to review and develop strategies to identify and address specialized training needs;
- Collaborate with DEI Unit to 1) Develop and provide educational and consciousness raising opportunities to educate state on racial equity and social justice; 2) Train and support management in building an inclusive office culture; 3) Develop training programs for staff in core competences required to build equity and inclusion and provide culturally competent representation of our clients;
- Establishes system for evaluating the effectiveness of training and professional development opportunities;
- Maintain a Division intranet site that includes training resources, provides materials of interest for the Division’s legal staff;
- Coordinates with other Units in development of specialized training for internal and external stakeholders;
- Identify quality training and professional development programs for staff to attend or serve as trainers;
- Meet regularly with Chief Public Defender to discuss and establish training and professional priorities, budget needs and strategic training plans;
- Administration of Divisions online learning management system;
- Maintains proficiency in latest instructional technologies.
DIRECTOR OF TRAINING CONNECTICUT PUBLIC DEFENDERS
||Division of Public Defender Services
|Posting Start Date:
The successful candidate will have the following abilities and skills:
- To engage with Division staff at all levels to promote trust and collaboration;
- Progressive experience in learning and development, responsible for designing and creating appealing learning materials;
- Progressive experience delivering training across multiple modalities and using various instructional techniques;
- To build partnerships between local offices and leadership;
- To remain diplomatic, solution focused and respectful in all interactions;
- To maintain accurate records;
- To manage time and meet deadlines;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, advanced skills in PowerPoint and other authoring software programs;
- Working knowledge of e-learning authoring software;
- To establish credibility and develop and manage productive relationships with all stakeholders both internal and external;
- To manage multiple projects and move between them;
- Proven leadership and management skills;
- Demonstrated work experience in criminal defense litigation;
- Demonstrated work experience as a trainer or instructor of adult learners in the legal field;
- Demonstrated familiarity with training needs assessments and evaluation tools;
- Knowledge of the practice of indigent defense and the impact of poverty on the criminal legal system;
- Strong and proven interpersonal skills;
- Strong and proven communication skills including a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in both oral and written form;
- Experience creating and designing adult teaching and learning content and skill training associated with indigent criminal defense;
- Strong facilitation skills;
- Experience in organizing event logistics and ability to work concurrently on multiple short term and long range projects.
A J.D. from a School of Law accredited by the American bar Association and a member in good standing of the Connecticut Bar or ability to obtain Connecticut Bar admission with 6-9 months from appointment.
Five (5) years of experience in developing, implementing and administration of training and professional development in the legal field.
Applicants will submit an application package (PDF Documents) to Diane.Fitzpatrick@pds.ct.gov no later than November 1, 2021, containing the following:
- Letter of interest;
- Current resume;
- Employment application and Attorney Application Supplement which are located on our Website
- Three written professional references. May be included in application package or may be submitted directly.
||This listing expires on: 1/16/2022