Appellate Public Defender 3 - Santa Fe, NM
To provide professional legal services for the Law Offices of the Public Defender in representing juvenile and adult indigent clients in areas of litigation, appeal, counsel, research and analysis.
Specific to the Appellate Division, attorneys at this level carry an exclusively appellate caseload and the position is research and writing oriented. The attorney will analyze the probable outcomes of cases based on the appellate record and legal research to advise clients on post-conviction options and remedies. Appellate attorneys consult with clients and trial counsel, review the record, and conduct extensive legal research to identify and litigate errors made in the lower courts. Arguments are presented in written appellate pleadings and through occasional oral argument at the New Mexico Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. Attorneys at this level should be able to represent clients in all misdemeanors, felonies and juvenile cases with supervision and mentor ship. Familiarity with the New Mexico Constitution and Criminal Code preferred. Trial experience is not required.
- Attorneys at this level should be able to represent clients in all misdemeanors or juvenile cases and low to medium level felonies with limited supervision.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to lower levels Attorneys and Law Clerks.
- Works under the direction and guidance provided by higher level Attorneys and/or Managing Attorney.
- Will conduct plea bargaining when appropriate with District Attorneys and other parties to establish agreements to resolve cases.
- Will attend seminars, training classes and review current professional literature to maintain and develop professional skills and knowledge.
- Drafts/reviews, proposes and prepares reports and legal documents.
- Meet with clients, file and argue motions, investigate cases, interview witnesses, proceed to trial and file any necessary appeals.
- Analyze the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge derived from investigation and case law to determine whether a client should enter into a plea or go to trial.
- The Appellate Division attorneys of this level interview clients and trial counsel, reviews the record and researches to support arguments that errors have been made by the lower courts.
- Performs related and other duties as assigned.
- Essential Functions
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Note: An Employee with this classification may be required to perform at a PD3 level or duties of a lower classification without additional compensation. Employee will be required to show competence in all levels PD2 through PD3.
All applications must be submitted online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lopdnm/jobs/3279742/appellate-public-defender-3-48977?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Appellate Public Defender 3 - Santa Fe, NM
||Law Offices of The Public Defender
||Santa Fe, NM
||$$53,996.80 - $124,966.40
|Posting Start Date:
- Minimum Qualifications
Current licensure as an attorney issued by the New Mexico Supreme Court or eligible for limited license issued by New Mexico Supreme Court and one (1) year of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Employment Requirements
Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
Collective Bargaining: This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement and all terms/conditions of that agreement apply and must be adhered to.
Default FLSA: Exempt
Geographic Pay Differential: This position may qualify for Geographic Pay Differential. Please refer to the LOPD website, Geographic Differential, for more information.
The Law Offices of the Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, spousal affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, political affiliation or religion, mental or physical disability, or serious medical condition.
This job advertisement may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
Preference may be given to multilingual applicants fluent in English and other languages.
||This listing expires on: 1/20/2022