Senior Trial Attorney
NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE is creating NDS Texas, a new client-centered, holistic public defense office to address the growing humanitarian crisis at the southern border by providing criminal defense representation and Padilla consultations to individuals arrested by Texas law enforcement along that border. NDS is hiring two Senior Trial Attorneys for NDS Texas and is currently accepting applications.
NDS will represent non-citizen clients who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients will be represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal needs of clients. NDS Texas is funded by the Texas Indigent Defense Commission.
Most positions, including the Senior Trial Attorneys, will be based in San Antonio. Periodic travel to border counties will be required, but most legal proceedings will initially occur via Zoom. NDS expects to operate a satellite office in one of the border counties.
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence.
- Support the Supervising Attorney’s oversight of the defense team by helping train, supervise, and mentor Staff Attorneys and non-legal staff.
- Provide vigorous representation with energy and enthusiasm to clients.
- Appear in all court proceedings for each client through the conclusion of their case.
- Interview clients and their families, conduct legal research, and write pre-pleading letters, motions, and pre-sentencing memoranda on behalf of clients.
- Coordinate work performed by team members (investigators, social workers, client advocate, team administrators, and interns).
- Work with cross-practice colleagues (immigration defense) to obtain meaningful, comprehensive legal outcomes for clients.
- File motions, briefs, and other related documents on a frequent and timely basis.
- Provide effective oral advocacy in negotiations and arguments in criminal cases.
- Be responsive to and communicate clearly with clients who are often under great stress.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Exceptional benefits package includes full medical and dental for employee and family, retirement, life and AD&D insurance, paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line, “Texas Senior Trial Attorney.” Please send your application as a one document attachment, preferably PDF.
Applications will be accepted until both positions are filled. For highest priority consideration, submit by November 18.
For more information about NDS, please visit our website at www.neighborhooddefender.org
Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non? conforming, and gender fluid people.