Bowie County Assistant Public Defender Attorney
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
1. Represent indigent clients in court as assigned in Bowie County in felony, misdemeanor, and juvenile cases. Primary responsibility is to handle misdemeanor court docket and cases.
2. Evaluates, investigates and offers legal advice in assigned cases, providing analysis of pending charges and defenses.
3. Represents indigent clients in plea offers and negotiations, jury trials, trials before the court, contested matters before the court and dismissals.
4. Interviews clients and potential witnesses and discusses the facts and applicable law with clients.
5. Conducts legal research, drafts legal documents and interprets laws, rules and regulations.
6. Reviews evidence, inspects crime scenes and prepares investigative requests.
7. Documents client files, prepares trial notebooks as required and maintains statistical information regarding caseload and dispositions.
8. Assists other public defenders as needed.