Capital Mitigation Specialist-Terrell, Texas
Regional Public Defender Office for Capital Cases
Local Government Corporation
: Terrell, Texas
: $80,000/year D.O.E.
Chief Public Defender
Mission, Vision and Values of the R.P.D.O.
Advocating the value of our clients’ lives
Ending the death penalty one life at a time
All voices are equal as we work together with a common goal
We serve the good of the client, not our egos
We search for individualized ways to connect with and represent each client
We are determined and persistent
We honor the humanity of clients, victims, families, and one another
The RPDO has a practice limited to trial level only, capital only, indigent defense. Appointed by the Chief Public Defender, the position is responsible providing legal representation for capital defendants in criminal proceedings and ensuring their constitutional rights are upheld. Serves as lead counsel in some cases. Oversees and participates in preparation, presentation, and disposition of cases in accordance with the A.B.A. Guidelines for the Appointment and State Bar of Texas Performance of Defense Counsel in Death Penalty Cases Guidelines
POSITION IS LOCATED IN TERRELL, TEXAS
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Chief Public Defender, works with attorneys and other specialists in an effort, as part of a team, to mitigate and therefore minimize the assessment of punishment in capital cases. The purpose of the mitigation specialist is to prevent, in the event of a conviction, the client from receiving the death penalty.
Embrace the Mission, Vision and Values of the RPDO as stated above
Successfully work within the RPDO team environment and work policies
· Obtains and evaluates family histories, jail records, work records, medical records, and educational records.
· Prepares correspondence, social histories, and reports and submits social histories to psychologists and attorneys.
· Reviews police reports.
· Conducts witness interviews and field investigations regarding competency, alcohol/drug dependence, legal sanity and prepares reliable social histories and themes regarding mitigation based on the client's psycho-social development, future dangerousness, and other capital sentencing factors.
· Prepares written reports/memoranda for all clients.
· Maintains well-documented and dated files for all clients
· Assists attorneys in preparation of theories and mitigation.