Licensed Social Worker, Criminal Defense, Pueblo CO
Colorado’s Office of the State Public Defender
(OSPD) maintains a reputation as one of the top organizations in the nation specializing in the delivery of indigent criminal defense. We operate as an independent agency within the Judicial Branch of Colorado State Government with nearly 1,000 dedicated employees assigned to twenty-one Regional Trial Offices, a centralized Appellate Division, and a centralized Administrative Office. The mission of OSPD is to defend and protect the rights, liberties and dignity of those accused of crimes who cannot afford to retain counsel. We do so by providing constitutionally and statutorily mandated representation that is effective, zealous, inspired and compassionate.
We seek to hire professionals who are dedicated to furthering our mission and demonstrate compassion in their service to our clients. We are a fast paced, team-oriented environment, where self-motivation and a personal commitment to high performance are important attributes for success.
BENEFITS OF WORKING FOR OSPD:
As an employee of Colorado State government, we offer group benefit plan options for you and your family (health, dental, life and disability). Please visit: https://stateofcoloradobenefits.com/
for details. Other benefits include retirement plan options through Colorado PERA www.copera.org
, eleven paid holidays a year, and paid-time-off for personal and sick leave. Additional information about the Office of the Colorado State Public Defender can be found at: http://www.coloradodefenders.us/
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
We are recruiting to fill a Licensed Social Worker position assigned to work with adult clients charged with criminal offenses in the State of Colorado. This position is assigned to our Pueblo trial office.
The Licensed Social Worker is the first level within the social worker series wherein employees are oriented to the role of mitigation, case management release planning, and forensic social work in a criminal public defense system; apply relevant techniques, methods and/or theories of the profession within that role; and, learn to apply their social work practice within the policies, procedures, rules and regulations specific to the Colorado State Public Defender. Assigned to the Pueblo trial office, this position also assists our trial offices in La Junta, Trinidad and Alamosa.
Public Defender Social Workers serve as part of the defense team, and as such, are bound by the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct including rules regarding the attorney-client privilege and client confidentiality. Social Workers perform duties and assume responsibility for case assignments under the specific direction, instruction and guidance of a defense attorney.
Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
HOW TO APPLY
- Conduct assessments and compile psychosocial histories to develop recommendations concerning pretrial release, detention, case preparation, alternative placements, treatment options, conditions of probation or diversion, and sentencing and post-sentencing options, as appropriate.
- Conduct assessments to identify physical or mental health issues, substance abuse or other patterns potentially influencing the client’s development, personality or behavior. Document and interpret symptoms of mental and behavioral impairment to assist the defense in developing case strategies.
- Collect social and family histories through interviews and document review, including highly sensitive and confidential information. Identify psychosocial influences and patterns in the client’s development and behavior including, but not limited to, socio/cultural/economic status and behavioral health issues.
- Assist in obtaining and reviewing relevant records, evaluations or reports; and, analyze the significance of information relevant to the client’s circumstances and case. Where appropriate, assist the defense team in documenting and organizing digital and physical files of information collected.
- Assist the defense team in identifying medical or mental health experts to further examine, evaluate and testify regarding the client’s physical or mental health issues. Assist in interpreting evaluation findings.
- Serve as a collaborative member of the defense team: Consult with attorneys on the appropriate approach to the case; maintain regular and timely communications with the team; provide support to the client; and, identify and advocate for appropriate options for the client.
- Participate in pretrial and sentencing hearings, prepare reports, and provide additional support as requested by the defense attorney.
- Keep current on statewide resources available and relevant to client needs such as, treatment programs and alternative placements. Conduct research necessary to ensure resources are current.
- Attend multi-agency and multi-disciplinary staffing meetings regarding the client.
- May supervise and mentor student interns enrolled in a graduate-level social work education program.
- Requires frequent travel within the State of Colorado.
Please submit your resume and cover letter
to the attention of Kristi Rudy, Human Resources, Kristi.Rudy@coloradodefenders.us
no later than Friday, June 10, 2022,
11:59 p.m. (Mountain Time), to be considered. Please highlight your specific interest in working in a criminal public defense system and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for the position.
(Please note: Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.)
The Office of the Colorado State Public Defender provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Consistent with this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including the application and selection process. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation, please contact Laura Darrow at, email@example.com