Supervising Assistant Public Defender (Trumbull Co.)
Applications are accepted via the Ohio Hiring Management System. Deadline to apply: 7/18/22.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Ohio Public Defender’s Office is currently hiring for a Supervising Assistant Public Defender in the Trumbull County Office. You will supervise Assistant Public Defenders, maintain a complex caseload, and serve as a mission-driven member of the Trumbull County Supervisor team reporting to the Trumbull County Office Director. The Trumbull County Office provides criminal defense representation to clients who cannot otherwise afford an attorney in the courts in Trumbull County. You will directly supervise Assistant Public Defenders (APDs) serving in the various Trumbull County Courts, and you will maintain a complex caseload as lead attorney or co-counsel representing indigent trial-level clients. You will also work with your team to build and maintain productive working relationships with judicial and court staff and the central OPD office.
To be successful in this position, you would benefit from strong leadership abilities, excellent communication skills, a familiarity with applicable court staff and local procedure, experience in the teaching and mentoring attorneys, and a strong legal acumen.
The position currently offers you the opportunity to work from home for a portion of time, so a successful candidate will be self-motivated and comfortable communicating via Teams or other conferencing software during those times.
Essential duties of this position include but not limited to:
ABOUT THE OHIO PUBLIC DEFENDER
- Directly supervise attorneys practicing in the criminal courts of Trumbull County
- Coach and develop staff (holds team meetings & one-on-one meetings; sets meaningful goals & provides support; completes timely performance evaluations)
- Represent indigent criminal defendants as co-counsel or lead-counsel at the trial level
- Correspond and meet with clients to explain legal strategies
- Correspond with clients regarding their legal issues & incarceration
- Recommend candidates for hire (e.g., screens & interviews applicants for vacant positions)
- Assists external public defenders and members of private bar in researching complex legal issues and renders legal advice
- Perform other necessary related legal and administrative work as directed by supervisors and managers
The Office of the Ohio Public Defender ("OPD") is the state agency responsible for providing legal representation and other services to people accused or convicted of a crime who cannot afford to hire an attorney.
Advocating. Fighting. Helping.
A Fair Justice System.
Compassion. Dignity. Equity. Integrity. Service. Community.
r Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Our commitment to inclusion is inseparable from our commitment to a fair justice system. We strive to ensure inclusive spaces and services for our staff, our clients, and Ohio’s diverse communities. We are committed to building a work environment where all our team members have a voice and can embrace our differences to innovate service to the public. We can best meet our public defense mission through a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace, where employees thrive, our mission is accomplished, and Ohioans are served. #TeamOPD is grounded in diversity, equity, inclusion as we work together to pursue fairness and justice for all people.