Regional Director - Holistic Defense Program
Partners for Justice (PFJ) was founded to transform public defense locally and across the United States, diminishing the effect of race and wealth on legal outcomes. This means ensuring that public defenders are equipped to assist clients with the underlying drivers of legal system involvement, to secure better legal outcomes both inside and outside the courtroom, and to help more clients emerge from prosecution with their rights, life, and future protected. Since our launch in 2018, PFJ has grown rapidly and we now support 18 public defender agencies across the country through embedded collaborative defense teams and capacity-building support.
PFJ works closely with public defender offices to help them adopt more collaborative and holistic practices. Our flagship program embeds trained Client Advocates in a host public defender, immediately expanding their ability to provide clients with wraparound support. The Regional Program Director will have responsibility for overseeing our largest partnership with the Los Angeles County Public Defender’s Office and a new potential partnership in southern California.
The Regional Program Director will report to PFJ’s West Coast Director and will supervise the Los Angeles Program Manager. They will also directly or indirectly supervise 18 Client Advocates in the Los Angeles program, in partnership with the Los Angeles Program Manager and on-site public defender supervisors.
- Program management: The Regional Program Director will have primary responsibility for the success of PFJ’s largest program across six branch offices of the Los Angeles County Public Defender. They will also oversee at least one other new PFJ program in southern California, specific location to be determined.
- Technical assistance: Serve as primary point of contact with designated public defender leadership and build meaningful, credible relationships with Advocate supervisors.
- Supervise, coach and empower PFJ Advocates and the Los Angeles Program Manager: Provide one-on-one support to Advocates on personal and professional development. Ensure PFJ’s Advocate performance expectations are consistently met. Organize regular trainings or workshops to deliver local learning experiences that meet Advocate needs. Provide similar supervision and support to the Los Angeles Program Manager.
- Partnership development: Working with Advocates and office supervisors, identify and build relationships with community-based organizations and government agencies providing services that benefit clients.
- National resources: Help define the PFJ Advocate role and experience. Gather best practices and contribute to national resources to enhance the Advocate practice and experience. Contribute to PFJ’s annual and ongoing training events.
- Coordination: Facilitate communication between the national PFJ team, Advocates based in southern California, and partner office leadership, ensuring visibility on PFJ national initiatives and local dynamics.
Regional Director - Holistic Defense Program
||Partners for Justice
||Los Angeles, CA
||$90,000 - $100,000
|Posting Start Date:
||PFJ is deeply committed to justice, equity, and inclusion in hiring. People with lived experience or identities that overlap with PFJ’s clients are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Commitment to PFJ’s mission and to our vision of collaborative, client-centered representation for low-income people involved in the criminal legal system
- Dedication to serving racially or socioeconomically marginalized communities
- JD or MSW, and minimum of five years’ experience providing legal services on relevant criminal or civil matters or social services within a legal environment
- Deep familiarity with Los Angeles County, including the legal system, government agencies, and community-based organizations
- Prior experience supervising or coaching others; while direct line supervision experience is preferred, this could also include serving as a teaching assistant or faculty member, a resident assistant, or overseeing interns
- Prior work within a public defender’s office is strongly desirable, especially an office with holistic or client-centered practices or one within southern California
- Experience working remotely and/or in a start-up environment is preferred
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time (public health conditions permitting)
||This listing expires on: 4/9/2023