Litigation Support Specialist - Assistant Computer Systems Administrator
The Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc., (FDSDI) has an opening for a full?time Litigation Support Specialist (LSS) ACSA in our San Diego office. FDSDI is a nonprofit organization fully funded by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts. We are not a government agency and as such are not government employees. FDSDI provides legal representation to indigent persons charged with federal crimes in the San Diego and Imperial Counties. A large part of the case load involves immigration related offenses, drugs, fraud, bank robbery, forgery and internet related crimes.
The LSS provides specialized and routine litigation support and legal technology services. The LSS acts as the legal technology specialist and is responsible for preparing audio, video and graphic exhibits including demonstrative exhibits. Process, organize, index and format discovery to assist in using the materials throughout different stages of litigation and provides technical assistance to attorneys and support staff.
The Litigation Support Specialist/ACSA is responsible for:
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Creating and supporting document databases, indexes, transcripts and images.
- Administering databases, processing data and electronic files,
- Performing OCR of digital documents.
- Digitizes audio and video clips for cases.
- Assists paralegals and attorneys with the production of discovery to clients, experts and others as necessary.
- Goes to court with attorneys and provides litigation and technology support during trials or hearings.
- Works with the trial team, to develop plans for trial or hearings using a courtroom presentation system.
- Consults with attorneys concerning the production and presentation of evidence.
- Prepares exhibit images for particular uses (e.g. zooming in on or highlighting a particular paragraph or setting up two exhibits side by side on the screen).
- Develops simple graphic images, exhibits and demonstratives using standard software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, Techsmith).
- Consults with attorneys on the effectiveness, production, and presentation of evidence. Is responsible for the smooth operation of the presentation system in the courtroom.
- Synchronizes clips with written transcripts.
- Ensures integration of digital media evidence across multiple technologies and platforms.
- Assist the IT department with computer and desktop support inquires.
Must be a high school graduate or equivalent and have at least three years of general experience with Windows PCs. A high level of Windows computer skills and proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Windows file system, knowledge of various file formats, audio and video file editing/conversion and text file editing is required. A Bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited college or university in computer technology, information management or a related field is preferred.
Specialized knowledge, skill and experience in some or all of the following areas is preferred.
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Case Map
- Trial Director
- Ipro Eclipse
- Cellebrite Reader, UFED4PC or Physical Analyzer
Experience in any of these systems or software should be expressly noted in a list of “Litigation Technology” experience contained within your application, as described further below. Applicant must be detail oriented, have strong organizational skills, and be able to set priorities and meet critical deadlines. Applicant must also possess the ability to work in a team environment and communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Applicant must be able to work flexible hours. The ability to speak, read and write Spanish is preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Salary range: JS-9/1 starting at $61,636-$80,128 to JS-12/1 starting at $89,383-$116,202. Robust benefits and retirement packages offered. Selected candidate will be subject to verification and employment depends upon a successful background verification. All positions are at-will and subject to availability of funds.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are invited to apply by submitting a single pdf document that includes a cover letter, resume, and three references via email to the attention of:
Kymberly Bryant, Personnel Administrator
Subject: Litigation Support Specialist, ACSA Position
Position open until filled. Please, no telephone inquiries.
Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Selection of position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and religious grooming), sex (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity (including transgender identity and transitioning), gender expression and sex stereotyping, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition or information (including genetic information), family care or medical leave status, military caregiver status, military status, veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, enrollment in a public assistance program, engaging in protected communications regarding employee wages, requesting a reasonable accommodation on the basis of disability or bona fide religious belief or practice, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.