The Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc., (FDSDI) is accepting applications to fill one or more full-time Assistant Paralegal position(s) in our San Diego office. FDSDI is a nonprofit organization fully funded by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts. We are not a government agency and as such, are not government employees. FDSDI provides legal representation to indigent persons charged with federal crimes in the San Diego and Imperial Counties.
The Assistant Paralegal provides support services to three or more staff attorneys. General duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with case preparation;
- Case file maintenance;
- Organizes and indexes discovery, evidence and exhibits for use in preparation for trial;
- Provides research support and background investigation under the general direction of the Assistant Federal Defender or paralegal staff;
- Notifies defender organization staff and clients of court dates and other appointments;
- Assists in preparing pleadings, motions and briefs efficiently and with attention to detail;
- Client contact including receiving and directing calls;
- Assists with litigation support services using advanced software programs;
- Locating and retrieving documents, records, and information utilizing computer-assisted legal research tools.
- High School graduate or equivalent;
- Minimum of three years of general experience and two years specialized experience;
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Appellate and criminal law experience with proficiency in e-filing procedures in the federal court system and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) fluency
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Salary range: JS-9/1 starting at $61,636 to JS-9/10 starting at $80,128. Robust benefits and retirement packages offered.
Selected candidate will be subject to verification and employment depends on a successful background verification. All positions are at-will and subject to the availability of funds.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are invited to apply by submitting a single pdf document that includes a cover letter, resume, and three references via email to the attention of:
Kymberly Bryant, Personnel Administrator
Subject: Assistant Paralegal Position
Position open until filled. Please, no telephone inquiries.
Federal Defenders of San Diego, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Selection of position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and religious grooming), sex (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity (including transgender identity and transitioning), gender expression and sex stereotyping, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition or information (including genetic information), family care or medical leave status, military caregiver status, military status, veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, enrollment in a public assistance program, engaging in protected communications regarding employee wages, requesting a reasonable accommodation on the basis of disability or bona fide religious belief or practice, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.