Position Information Message
NYCDS seeks an immigration staff attorney to join our Immigration Unit. The Immigration Unit provides Padilla
advice and support to NYCDS clients and criminal defense attorneys.
Founded in 1997, New York County Defender Services (NYCDS) is a public defender office located in downtown Manhattan. Our mission is to provide the best possible legal defense for poor people ensnared in the criminal justice system. Our Immigration Unit currently consists of three immigration attorneys who specialize in the intersection between immigration and criminal law and work collaboratively with defenders, social workers, and investigators to avoid negative immigration consequences for non-citizen clients.
- Advise and strategize with our criminal defense attorneys and clients to avoid negative immigration consequences;
- Provide immigration support to defense attorneys at arraignments;
- Present information to judges and assistant district attorneys through written or oral advocacy;
- Advocate for clients by conducting jail visits and accompanying clients to ICE appointments;
- Present in-office trainings on crim-imm basics and changes to crim-imm law;
- Attend IDP’s monthly roundtable meetings;
- Participate in other immigration coalition and organization meetings; and
- Supervise law student interns.
- Immigration staff attorneys may also have opportunities to provide legal representation before the Immigration Courts and to help clients apply for affirmative benefits before USCIS;
||New York County Defender Services
||New York, NY
||75000 - 110,000
|Posting Start Date:
· Commitment to advancing the rights of poor and low-income immigrants;
· Commitment to criminal justice issues;
· Minimum of two years’ legal services experience preferred, but not required;
· Immigration law experience, particularly as it intersects with criminal law, is highly preferred;
· Excellent research, writing, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills;
· Strong organizational and time-management skills;
· Ability to work with a diverse group of criminal defense lawyers;
· Ability to speak Spanish fluently is preferred;
· Must be admitted to practice law in New York State;
· We welcome candidates who are flexible, enjoy collaboration and think creatively.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and brief writing sample .
||This listing expires on: 4/11/2023