Position Information Message
The New York State Office of Indigent Legal Services (ILS) is launching a Western New York Regional Support Center in Buffalo. The ILS Western New York Regional Support Center (WNY RSC) addresses the compelling need for ILS to provide state expertise to local governments and providers of public defense services and to assure that the reforms initiated by the Hurrell-Harring settlement and its extension statewide under Executive Law § 832(4) will be implemented as effectively and as efficiently as possible in western New York counties.
The Appellate Counsel reports to the Attorney in Charge/Director of Western New York Regional Support Center and is responsible for the effective implementation of Executive Law § 832 (4)(b) (caseload relief) and § 832(4)(c) (initiatives to improve quality) with respect to appellate cases.
Specific duties include:
• To achieve the mission of improved quality public defense representation facilitates development and implementation of regional initiatives, particularly in the area of appellate practice and access to and utilization of appellate expertise in trial level cases
• Under the supervision of the Attorney-in-Charge, works towards successful implementation of the ILS reform plans within the region, identifies challenges to implementation, and works collaboratively with county officials and providers of mandated representation to develop creative solutions to meet the challenges
• Assists in maximizing the use of state funding by all public defense providers and counties within the region, including negotiating budgets for ILS contracts with providers and counties within the region
• Provides consultation to public defense attorneys upon request in both appellate cases as well as issue preservation and legal research for trial level cases
• Works closely with the Resource Support and Data Specialist to promote access to non-attorney professional support services and to ensure collection and reporting of all relevant data, and with Criminal Defense Counsel and Family Court Counsel to identify areas where quality improvement and greater efficiencies may be achieved
• Consults regularly with the ILS Director of Quality Enhancement for Appellate and Post-Conviction Representation and Statewide Appellate Support Center staff
||New York State Office of Indigent Legal Services
||From $95000 to $108342 Annually
|Posting Start Date:
The candidate should possess a Juris Doctorate; admission to or willingness to seek admission to the New York State Bar; and a minimum of seven years experience in criminal defense representation subsequent to admission to the Bar.
An ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to promoting high quality public defense, strong leadership skills, a high degree of professionalism and collegiality, sound judgment, and strong oral and written skills.
Please submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.
Vacancy ID: 126867
Email Address: HRresumes@ogs.ny.gov
NYS Office of General Services, HRM
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12242
Applications due 04/24/23
||This listing expires on: 6/27/2023