Discovery and Digital Evidence Staff Attorney
The New York State Defenders Association (NYSDA) is seeking a full-time Discovery and Digital Evidence Staff Attorney for our statewide defender Discovery and Forensic Support Unit. This Unit, part of our Public Defense Backup Center, is instrumental in assisting defenders around the state to advance quality representation in criminal and family court cases involving forensic evidence. NYSDA, a not-for-profit, membership organization, has been providing support to New York's public defense community since 1967. NYSDA’s mission is to improve the quality and scope of publicly supported legal representation to low income people. NYSDA operates the state’s Public Defense Backup Center, which provides legal support services, training programs, its Public Defense Case Management System, and other services to public defense offices and assigned counsel attorneys throughout the state. NYSDA offers high quality training to public defense attorneys, investigators, social workers, and other members of the public defense team.
The Discovery and Forensic Support Unit provides consultations, training, resource guides, updates on forensic developments, and expert witness referrals to criminal and family court defenders and other members of public defense teams throughout New York State.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with members of the Discovery and Forensic Support Unit and the Backup Center legal staff to assist and support defenders, including by providing legal assistance, case consultation, and expert referrals to defenders handling cases involving digital evidence.
- Stay abreast of and provide regular updates on digital forensics developments to the public defense community and collaborate with the greater digital forensic defender community.
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the Discovery and Forensic Support Unit to develop a forensic resource library, other forensic guides, and litigation tools and resources.
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the Discovery and Forensic Support Unit to develop forensic and discovery related training programs for attorneys, investigators, and other public defense team members.
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the Discovery and Forensic Support Unit on strategic litigation and other unit projects or initiatives to address the misuse of science and surveillance in the criminal legal and family regulatory systems.
- Research existing state and national best practices for organizing and using discovery materials (paper, electronic, audiovisual, etc.) and, in collaboration with the Backup Center legal staff, public defenders, and other defense team members, develop best practices for use in New York.
- Collaborate with NYSDA’s Public Defense Case Management System team to improve our technology resource offerings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Discovery and Digital Evidence Staff Attorney
||New York State Defenders Association, Inc.
||$90,000 - $100,000 depending on experience
|Posting Start Date:
||Qualifications and Experience
- Admitted to practice law in New York or eligible for admission in New York
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working on criminal and/or family court matters, including managing paper and electronic discovery and addressing digital evidence issues
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong time management and project management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to public defense, NYSDA’s mission to improve the quality and scope of representation to individuals who cannot afford counsel, and advancing equitable and racial justice
- Proficiency with technology, including Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom, and other software
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Hands-on training/experience or certification in the use of digital forensic tools, such as Cellebrite, Forensic Toolkit (FTK), and Encase
NYSDA offers a generous benefit package, including paid vacation, personal, sick, and parental leave; health, dental, and vision insurance coverage; flexible spending account; and 403(b) with an employer contribution after one year.
- Experience managing cases with large volumes of discovery (paper and electronic)
- Formal education or other knowledge base and proficiency in computer science, engineering or other STEMs
- Experience working in a local, state, or federal public defense office
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Natalie Brocklebank, Deputy Director, at email@example.com (subject line: Discovery and Digital Evidence Staff Attorney). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For questions about the position or the Discovery and Forensic Support Unit, contact the Unit’s Team Leader, Emily Prokesch, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NYSDA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences, and communities to apply.
||This listing expires on: 11/12/2023