Legal Office Professional I
- The Position: The Legal Office Professional class is a position that is utilized by six departments: District Attorney's Office, Child Support Services Department, County Counsel's Office, Sheriff's Office, Public Defender's Office and Santa Barbara County Employees’ Retirement System (SBCERS). For additional information about our County Departments, please visit this link: http://www.countyofsb.org/deptlist.sbc
The Ideal Candidate will have:
The Legal Office Professional class is a great way to begin your career at an entry level and grow in the legal profession. Through experience and training you will have opportunities to advance within the County of Santa Barbara.
- Excellent customer service;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to learn new tasks quickly;
- Ability to prioritize and complete time-sensitive work tasks;
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Ability to work well independently and as a team player;
- Self-motivation and a good attitude;
- Accuracy and attention to detail skills.
- Examples of Duties
About Legal Office Professionals: The incumbent must be detailed oriented, able to handle multiple tasks; organized, able to work within strict legal mandates and deadlines; able to work effectively both independently or as a team member; resourceful in utilizing location tools and location of individuals; have good communication skills; take direction and understand and follow oral and written direction; establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental staff, law enforcement and court personnel.
The incumbent should have knowledge of standard office methods and equipment such as personal computer and copier/fax/scanner; standard word usage and grammar for business and legal documents; legal terminology and legal document formatting; database and word processing software and must be willing to be reassigned to other job duties on an as needed basis and to develop skills.
Job duties may also include preparation of legal documents using legal format; file documents with the courts; record trial information and maintain files, review and process misdemeanor, felony and juvenile complaints, information, search warrants etc.; preparation and maintenance of discovery; location of victims and witnesses and subpoena service; preparation of court calendars.
Legal Office Professional I incumbents will acquire and demonstrate the following:
- Basic knowledge of the Federal and California legal systems.
- Basic knowledge of the California process for a civil or criminal litigation and rules of the local courts.
- Knowledge of the different types of law practiced by the County.
- Basic knowledge of the legal consequences associated with civil, criminal, and administrative legal systems.
- Knowledge of the roles of and relationships between County agencies, other governmental agencies, the court system, and private-sector organizations.
- Skill to use basic legal terminology, including terminology related to legal ethics.
- Skill to explain the ethical obligations of the legal professions, confidentiality laws, attorney/client privilege, and work product privilege.
- Knowledge of general legal office protocol and management, including organizing and maintaining law libraries, documents, and case files; and coordinating witnesses and schedules.
- Knowledge and understanding of the rules and procedures related to legal pleadings and documents.
- Skill to prepare legal documents using a personal computer and/or dictating/transcribing equipment and following formatting, designations, and procedural requirements.
- Skill to proofread legal documents.
- Skill to use specialized computer-assisted resources effectively and efficiently.
Legal Office Professional I
||Santa Barbara County Public Defender
||Santa Barbara, CA
|Posting Start Date:
- Employment Standards
The following job-related competencies are required upon entry to this class for successful performance of essential functions and for demonstration of the County's ACE values:
For the County’s ACE values, and more information on the position, click HERE.
- Skill to use computer operating systems, word processing, and email software at a level necessary to create documents and send and respond to email messages.
- Use alphabetic computer keyboard with skill and accuracy.
- Use complete English sentences and paragraphs to correctly organize and convey information.
- Correct use of English parts of speech, sentence structure, vocabulary, and word usage.
- Skill to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers and decimals.
- Skill to meet and interact with the public and co-workers courteously and professionally.
- Skill to file information alphabetically, numerically, and chronologically.
- Skill to write and print legibly, clearly, and uniformly to record information.
Some positions MAY require the following Additional Qualifications:
- The ability to read, write and/or converse fluently in English and Spanish may be required. If you indicated on your application that you are bilingual, Human Resources will place you on the employment list for a job requiring bilingual skills. Hiring departments may test you on your fluency. If you do not demonstrate sufficient fluency, your name may be withheld from future certifications, in accordance with Civil Service Rule VI.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License is required for some positions.
- Some departments require employees to wear uniforms.
- Some positions require a Live Scan and the applicant to pass a background investigation. Current or excessive use of drugs, sale of drugs, serious criminal history, or deception relating to employment history may bar employment.
||This listing expires on: 12/10/2023