Reentry Specialist - Hybrid (Remote/Office)
Join the State Appellate Defender Office (SADO)’s Project Reentry (PR) as a Reentry Specialist. The Reentry Specialist will provide reentry planning and parole preparation support to indigent individuals on direct appeal and to juvenile lifers and other individuals entitled to resentencing from unconstitutional sentences. Reentry plans developed by the Reentry Specialist are used in litigation at resentencing hearings and after discharge from incarceration.
Salary will depend on experience and qualifications. The position pays $51,385 to start. The worksite can be in either Detroit or Lansing.? Our office follows a hybrid workplace model that mixes in-office and remote work to offer flexibility and support to staff.? This is a year-to-year grant-funded position that begins in mid to late October.
- Process referrals received from attorneys, prioritize referrals by deadline, track assignments and case status
- Conduct needs assessments through in-person and/or video visits with clients represented by SADO and MAACS
- Develop individualized Comprehensive Reentry Plans (CRPs)
- Provide client coaching in preparation for parole (or other) hearings, which may include attending parole hearings on a client’s behalf
- Interview and coordinate with members of the client’s support network, social service providers, parole officers, employers, or housing providers
- Provide post-incarceration support to individuals coming home from incarceration, which includes locating and connecting clients to direct-service providers
- Maintain meaningful relationships with clients from the time they are assigned to PR until approximately 12-24 months after coming home
- Inform and develop strategies that will sustain and support the mission of PR by collaborating with team members and the PR Team Lead
- Responsible for all necessary clerical duties for individual work, including case management on SADO’s cloud-based networks, mailing materials to clients, and staying in regular communication SADO clients, attorneys, and mitigation specialists
- Assist in developing and maintaining PR resources and events, including workshops, newsletters, and guidebooks
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 401k plan with up to a 9% employer contribution
- 13 paid holidays
- 3 weeks of paid vacation in year one
- Paid sick time and, for eligible employees, paid parental leave
- Long-term disability insurance
- Flexible work hours
- Hybrid work environment (remote/office)
- Paid training opportunities
SADO employees are members of the UAW Local 2200.
SADO offers training and mentoring and fosters an environment of success and support. With offices in Detroit and Lansing, SADO’s seventy-plus staff members form a community advocating for clients and a fair criminal legal system. Additionally, SADO provides the ability to work remotely. Visit www.sado.org
to learn more.
Submit a resume and a cover letter via email by September 29, 2023
to: HR@sado.org. Applications without a resume and cover letter will not be considered.
The cover letter should address the reasons underlying your interest in working with Project Reentry and explain your commitment to working with incarcerated people and people convicted of crimes. Please also state your preferred worksite - Detroit or Lansing.
SADO is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We recognize people of color are disproportionately impacted by the criminal legal system and actively seek to employ staff with backgrounds representative of its clients and the defense community. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ people, and people directly affected by the criminal legal system to apply. A felony conviction does not prohibit employment at SADO.
If you are unable to send applicant materials electronically, please contact Human Resources at 313-420-2905 for assistance.