Senior Trial Counsel - Greater Boston Area
The Committee for Public Counsel Services, the Massachusetts public defender agency, is seeking experienced attorneys to serve as Senior Trial Counsel in the Public Defender Division.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION MISSION STATEMENT
CPCS is committed to protecting the fundamental constitutional and human rights of its clients by providing zealous advocacy, community-oriented defense, and excellent representation. In fulfilling its mission, CPCS is committed to fostering diversity at all levels of the agency. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. In striving always to achieve those goals, CPCS embraces diversity and inclusion as core values and is steadfast in our commitment to: (1) ensuring that CPCS management and staff members represent a broad range of human difference and experience; (2) providing a work climate that is respectful and that supports success; and (3) promoting the dignity and well-being of all staff members. CPCS's leadership is responsible for ensuring excellence, diversity, and inclusion. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
CPCS is the state agency in Massachusetts responsible for providing an attorney when the state or federal constitution or a state statute requires the appointment of an attorney for a person who cannot afford to retain one. The agency provides representation in criminal, delinquency, youthful offender, child welfare, guardianship, mental health, sexually dangerous person, and sex offender registry cases, as well as in appeals and post-conviction and post-judgment proceedings related to those matters.
Senior Trial Counsels (“STC”) provide legal representation and advocacy to indigent clients who are charged primarily with Superior Court jurisdiction offenses. STCs are expected to take on leadership roles in their regions, including first or second seating Trial Attorneys in serious felony or otherwise complex cases. They will mentor less experienced Trial Attorneys and aid in training Trial Attorneys on how to litigate complex cases. STCs will collaborate with the PDD Management Team, the Director of Strategic Litigation, and others on novel or cutting edge issues. STCs will be expected to represent clients in murder cases.
Public Defender Division Senior Trial Counsel will be assigned to one of the four region(s) of the Commonwealth and report to a Managing Director.
Senior Trial Counsel are responsible for providing full representation at the trial level for PDD clients facing serious or complex cases, including murder cases.
- First-seating, or second-seating Trial Attorneys, in serious felony or otherwise complex cases, primarily in the Superior Court, including murder cases. If a STC’s experience includes relevant appellate experience, their focus may be on second-seating murder and other serious felony or otherwise complex trial matters;
- Working with Managing Director(s) and Attorneys in Charge to involve Trial Attorneys in second-seating capacity in appropriate cases;
- Training Trial Attorneys on how to prepare and litigate complex cases;
- Mentoring Trial Attorneys as directed, focused on mentee attorneys’ Superior Court caseload;
- Collaborating with the Senior Management Team and others on strategic approaches to novel or cutting edge legal issues;
- Collaborating with STCs and management in MHLD, YAD, and CAFL on serious or complex co-occurring matters; devising and participating in cross-divisional training and mentorship;
- Taking assignments in multiple counties, as deemed appropriate by Senior Management; and,
- Other duties as assigned.