· Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff; develops and oversees employee work schedules to ensure adequate coverage and control; compiles and reviews timesheets; addresses employee concerns and problems and counsels or disciplines as appropriate; assists with or completes employee performance appraisals; directs work; acts as a liaison between employees and management; interviews applicants; and trains staff in operations, policies, and procedures.
· Organizes, prioritizes, and assigns work; prioritizes and schedules work activities in order to meet objectives; ensures that subordinates have the proper resources needed to complete the assigned work; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; consults with assigned staff to assist with complex/problem situations and provide technical expertise; provides progress and activity reports to management; and develops or revises procedure manuals.
· Plans and directs the activities and operations of the Investigations Division: reviews cases assigned to subordinate Investigators; oversees, leads, and advises on investigative work; conducts investigative team meetings; establishes goals; ensures compliance with policies and procedures; creates and revises Investigations policies and procedures; develops and implements Investigations standards and protocols; ensures proper maintenance, distribution, and resolution of problems with vehicles, and investigative equipment; prepares division reports; and manages related administrative functions.
· Stays abreast of criminal investigative techniques, practices, and courtroom procedures and ensures same for staff: evaluates staff training needs; develops, coordinates, secures, or conducts training for staff; attends seminars and training courses; and obtains various criminology certifications.
· Oversees and conducts investigations and assists Assistant Public Defenders in preparing complex cases for hearings and trial: reviews case files and identifies investigative tasks; consults with Assistant Public Defenders regarding defense; assists in determining case theories and investigative approach; conducts pre-trial conferences; drafts and executes court orders for evidence; collects, secures, and analyzes evidence, ensuring chain of custody is maintained; utilizes various investigative tools, resources, and programs to obtain necessary information; surveys, photographs, and sketches crime scenes; compiles witness lists; and testifies in court.
· Provides assistance and advocacy to indigent clients: visits and communicates with clients in jail or prison; provides information and updates regarding case status and court proceedings; and provides social service referrals and information to assist clients.
· Prepares, gathers, reviews, compiles, and processes a variety of documents and information related to investigative activities: gathers and compiles necessary information including incident reports, certified prior convictions, criminal histories, crime lab information, defendant, victim and witness statements, interrogation/interview footage, 911 dispatch transcripts, and medical records; reviews financial records, crime lab reports, patient records, and other investigative information; drafts investigative reports, case summaries, evidence requests, and related documents.