The Office of Capital and Forensic Writs (OCFW), the Texas post-conviction public defender, represents a substantial percentage of individuals in Texas courts in capital post-conviction proceedings. This fall, OCFW is starting a new practice to provide representation to persons convicted of non-capital offenses when questionable forensic science contributed to their conviction. See
Tex. Code Crim. Proc. 38.01 4(h). In this practice, OCFW will review and litigate cases referred by the Texas Forensic Science Commission when the forensic analysis at trial was tainted by negligence or misconduct.
OCFW welcomes applications from talented attorneys interested in joining the office as a Litigation Supervisor. Ideal candidates would have prior experience in capital or post-conviction litigation including forensic science challenges, exhibit creativity and skill in litigation, and be committed to client-centered, excellent post-conviction representation. This is a newly created supervisorial position.
The Litigation Supervisor will serve as a supervisor of OCFW litigation in both capital and non-capital cases, with a focus on written and appellate advocacy. The Litigation Supervisor will be a leader within the office and help manage the office alongside the Executive Director and Training Director. In addition, the Litigation Supervisor will serve as lead counsel in a limited number of cases.
||Office of Capital and Forensic Writs
||up to $105,000
|Posting Start Date:
- Member of the Texas State Bar or eligible for admission within six months of employment (Please note that the Texas Bar allows for the admission without examination for certain applicants who have practiced law for at least five out of the last seven years. See Rule XIII, Rules of The Supreme Court Governing Admission to The Bar of Texas);
- At least five years of relevant experience, defined as follows:
- representing low-income clients at trial, on appeal, or on post-conviction,
- serving a judicial law clerk or staff attorney; or
- impact litigation related to civil rights, criminal justice reform and related fields.
- Ability to work collaboratively in team settings; strengths in teamwork, client relations, investigation and relationship building;
- Strong written advocacy skills (writing sample required with application);
- Excellent analytic, legal research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Ten or more years of relevant experience;
- Prior supervisorial experience;
- Prior experience training on topics such as factual investigation, post-conviction litigation, and forensic science;
- Prior experience litigating forensic science-related issues;
- Experience with and the ability to understand, summarize and translate complex research for a lay audience;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, indigent defense, and criminal justice reform;
- Ability to work with a diverse range of people.
- Pursuant to state law, OCFW may not employ an attorney who has been found by a state or federal court to have rendered ineffective assistance of counsel.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment and software;
- A valid driver’s license, and the willingness to operate a motor vehicle for client-representation purposes;
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout Texas and, on occasion, out of state; frequent travel is required for this position.
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org: (1) a letter of interest; (2) a resume; (3) a writing sample; (4) a list of references; and (5) the mandated State of Texas Application for Employment (available at: http://www.twc.state.tx.us/jobseekers/state-texas-application-employment.).
The Office of Capital & Forensic Writs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, any request for reasonable accommodations needed during the application process should be communicated by the applicant to Sandra Justice, the Office of Capital & Forensic Writs Senior Accountant, at (512) 463-8520.
||This listing expires on: 11/11/2019