Criminal defense investigator
Who We Are:
AK Investigations is a team of criminal defense investigators based in Nashville, Tennessee. Our
mission is to help people accused of the most serious crimes by doggedly investigating their
cases to give them the best outcome, no matter their position in the world. We also focus on
uncovering our clients’ compelling life histories, contextualizing and humanizing them to those
who make decisions about their liberty. We work with attorneys nationally as part of defense
teams on capital murders and other high level felonies by methodically formulating and
implementing defense strategies unique to each case.
We are looking for a new team member to join us who shares our passion for social justice and
uncovering hidden stories. Those who have done investigative reporting, social work/work in
the mental health field or other jobs that require interviewing, research and writing may be well
suited for this position.
The criminal defense investigator will serve two primary functions:
1. Investigate the facts and circumstances of the alleged crime by gathering documentary
evidence and interviewing witnesses.
2. Conduct mitigation (life history) investigation for sentencing.
• Consult with attorneys to develop theories of the case and case strategy.
• Locate and interview witnesses in person.
• Prepare detailed reports based on interviews.
• Prepare and maintain witness lists, timelines, and other case documents based on ongoing
• Keep orderly case file, documenting all steps of casework.
• Extensive research, record collection and organization.
• Conduct background/criminal history searches via databases, social media, courthouse
searches, media outlets, etc.
• Maintain contact with attorneys and investigative team to provide regular case updates.
• Assist attorneys with trial prep and testify in court. Serve subpoenas.
• Organize and prioritize caseload, manage calendar in order to complete work in a
timely and efficient manner.
• Assist team members with record collection, clerical duties and other support.
• Develop and maintain relationships with court clerks, records custodians and others
who help our team with information gathering.
• Recognize and document symptoms of mental illness.
• Review and synthesize case materials, providing well-organized, clear information to