Social Services Manager
|Manages the day-to-day and overall operations of the social services team with the Travis County Mental Health Public Defender. The social services team is composed of social workers (LMSW) and case workers who work in concert with the office's legal and administrative teams to serve our client population with zealous defense of criminal charges, support through intensive case management and warm connection to community services. The Social Services Manager performs social work training and supervision, as well as managerial, consultative, technical and administrative duties involved in leading, continuous development and evaluation of departmental goals and objectives. This position is with the Mental Health Public Defender office.
This is a job classification within the Social Services job family. This classification is responsible for managing the operations of a social services department, work unit or program composed of multiple operational components and related staff. This classification is distinguished from the Social Services Program Administrator which directs and manages a large department or broad based series of multiple funded programs with broad scope of responsibility, complex budget and large staff.
|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs and manages the planning and operations of the social services team. Oversees team, including hiring, training, performance evaluation and disciplinary actions, ensuring activities are consistent with policies, procedures, laws, regulations, goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with MHPD Director to plan, develop and establish goals and objectives. Participates in, or develops strategic plans to accomplish the goals and objectives.
- Manages service delivery and program operations for social services team. Organizes operations and procedures. Sets priorities, monitors activities and assignments and resolves problems.
- Provides technical advice, policy interpretation and guidance for application of appropriate procedures to staff.
- Evaluates program effectiveness and develops improved methods. Devises evaluation methodology and manages implementation. Analyzes results and recommends or takes appropriate action.
- Develops, oversees and evaluates new and existing services and initiatives for implementation.
- Assists in, or develops budget for area of assignment. Administers budget and approves or recommends expenditures within established budget. May prepare proposals for funding or funding continuation.
- Serves as liaison and collaborates with governmental and public agency representatives, community outreach and advocacy groups, service providers and others. Plans, develops and manages a variety of community development and community organizing activities. Identifies and resolves service gaps and barriers, stimulates interest in departmental programs and services.
- Develops and participates in education and training for clients and community. Makes presentations related to departmental programs and services.
- Prepares periodic reports, financial analysis and statistical reports on program activities and program progress.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Social Services Manager
||Travis County Mental Health Public Defender
||$55,578.85 - $69,473.66 Annually
|Posting Start Date:
|Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioral Sciences or a directly related field AND five (5) years increasingly responsible experience in social services, including one (1) year of supervisory or management experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC); OR, Qualified Credentialed Counselor (QCC).
Licensed Social Worker (LSW); OR, Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW). Valid Texas Driver's License.
Master's degree in Social Work
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
2 years of supervisory or management experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Social Work Management and supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Policies, practices and procedures within area of assignment.
- Federal, State and Local program laws and requirements.
- Advocacy groups, social service providers and community outreach organizations.
- Budgetary practices and techniques.
- Modern office practices, procedures and methods.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- May be required to develop knowledge of and adhere to federal and state laws requiring the confidential handling of certain health information.
- Planning, development, monitoring and evaluation of social service programs and services.
- Supervising others, allocating resources and evaluating programs.
- Leadership and community collaboration.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Operating a variety of modern office equipment, including a computer.
- Both verbal and written communication, including presentations.
- Motivate, train, supervise and develop and evaluate staff.
- Serve as technical consultant and liaison.
- Create and recommend department and program initiatives.
- Prepare administrative and statistical reports.
- Communicate effectively.
- Work independently.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks, and organize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
||This listing expires on: 9/1/2020