THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN ANGLETON, TEXAS
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Chief Public Defender, works with attorneys and other specialists in an effort, as part of a team, to mitigate and therefore minimize the assessment of punishment in capital cases. The purpose of the mitigation specialist is to prevent, in the event of a conviction, the client from receiving the death penalty.
· Obtains and evaluates family histories, jail records, work records, medical records, and educational records.
· Prepares correspondence, social histories, and reports and submits social histories to psychologists and attorneys.
· Reviews police reports.
· Conducts witness interviews and field investigations regarding competency, alcohol/drug dependence, legal sanity and prepares reliable social histories and themes regarding mitigation based on the client's psycho-social development, future dangerousness, and other capital sentencing factors.
· Prepares written reports/memoranda for all clients and submits to trial attorneys.
· Provides court testimony on behalf of clients, when needed.
· Maintains well-documented and dated files for all clients
· Assists attorneys in preparation of theories and mitigation.
· Performs other job-related duties, within reason and capabilities, as directed.