The Policy Director will support the Chief Defender and First Assistant by overseeing the Policy Unit to provide qualitative and quantitative analysis relating to the operations, policies, programs and practices of the Defender Association. The Director will work with criminal justice stakeholders to improve system outcomes for clients; create and oversee new programs designed to improve institutional and client outcomes; support a data-driven approach to evaluating the Association’s performance; and oversee the analytical and data foundations for policy reports and recommendations. The Policy Director will serve a five-year term.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Develop and execute strategic plan for policy, research and data partnerships that advances the mission of the Defender Association to improve courtroom advocacy and outcomes
• Supervise and support the development of the members of the policy and community engagement team
• Lead the policy and community engagement teams in developing policy recommendations on core issues related to criminal justice and youth advocacy reforms and generate ideas for new policy initiatives to improve outcomes for clients
• Work collaboratively with Communication Director to monitor and respond to policies and research relevant to Defender Association clients, including serving as a media spokesperson on those issues
• Identify and manage new research projects to presentation and communication of findings
• Participate in relevant attorney and staff trainings to infuse practice with policy and reform efforts
• Represent the Defender Association in external presentations, including to the Local Government, advocacy organizations and other stakeholder agencies
• Coordinate with Department Heads to gather data and track outcomes and document the impact of our work
• Develop and maintain relationships with external criminal justice and youth advocacy organizations focused on policy analysis and reform
• Identify new grant opportunities, lead grant writing and manage relationships with sponsoring organizations, including tracking and communicating our impact in grant reports
• Work collaboratively with Defender attorneys and staff to quickly respond to legislative proposals, inquiries from allies and other opportunities to develop the organization’s position and case to stakeholders, community and media
• Partner with policy stakeholders to create easily digested and effectively disseminated materials for policy makers, media, staff and the public
• Maintain a working knowledge of criminal justice policy research and practice through participating in professional development activities.