Attorney I-III (Public Defender''s Office, Immigration Practice)
|The Travis County Public Defender's Office (PDO) is a comprehensive public defender office envisioned to be client-centered, independent, and innovative to the needs of Travis County residents. Consistent with nationally recognized best practices, the PDO provides high-quality holistic defense representation and other support to people accused of criminal offenses in Travis County.
The Public Defender’s Office is seeking an Attorney I-III specifically trained in immigration law to join our team. The immigration attorney is a key member of the PDO team with responsibility in providing zealous representation and advocacy for indigent, noncitizen clients within Travis County. For many noncitizens, an arrest can result in serious immigration consequences, such as being placed in detention and/or deportation. PDO immigration attorneys understand the complex intersection between criminal and immigration law and, from the beginning of the case, work as a team with clients, their families, the criminal defense and other holistic practice advocates to advise clients of and mitigate against potential adverse immigration consequences.
*Posting may close early as interviews will be conducted until the position is filled.*
Attorney I: This is the first in a series of seven attorney-related job classifications within the Attorneys job family. This classification handles cases and matters that are the least complex and may result in the least serious consequences without supervision.
Attorney II: This is the second in a series of seven attorney-related job classifications within the Attorneys job family. This classification handles cases and matters that are the least complex and may result in the least serious consequences without supervision.
Attorney III: This is the third in a series of seven attorney-related job classifications within the Attorneys job family. This classification handles cases and matters that are the least complex and may result in the least serious consequences without supervision and handles cases and matters that are moderately complex and may result in moderately severe consequences with supervision.
Attorney I Salary: $63,638.43 - $69,368.00 Annually
Attorney II Salary: $68,095.87 - $74,214.40 Annually
Attorney III Salary: $77.956.53 - $84,988.80 Annually
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise non-citizen clients regarding the full range of immigration consequences associated with their criminal cases and works with the criminal defense attorneys to mitigate the negative immigration consequences of open criminal cases.
- Provides client-centered representation to indigent clients in criminal cases.
- Works as a part of a multidisciplinary team to provide holistic representation in criminal cases.
- Performs legal research. Searches resources and studies legal records and documents to obtain information applicable to case or issue under consideration.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Attorney I-III (Public Defender''s Office, Immigration Practice)
||The Travis County Public Defender's Office
||Depends on Qualifications
|Posting Start Date:
|Education and Experience:
Attorney I: J.D./LL.B. from an accredited law school.
Attorney II: J.D./LL.B. from an accredited law school and 18 months licensed attorney work experience.
Attorney III: J.D./LL.B. from an accredited law school and 3 years licensed attorney work experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas. May consider delayed start dates for highly qualified candidates who are (1) 3Ls and recent law graduates with less than 18 months experience and will take the Texas Bar by July 2021 or (2) immediately eligible to waive into the Texas Bar using the Uniform Bar Examination (UBE) transfer process. Offer contingent on successful admission.
Please attach resume to application.
- Spanish fluency, written and oral strongly preferred.
- Applications with a cover letter detailing interest in the position, including why you want to work for the Travis County Public Defender’s Office.
- Recent legal writing sample.
- Hearing and trial experience consistent with years of practice.
- Mission-aligned experience (work or lived) advocating on behalf of people/communities directly impacted by the criminal/immigration/indigent civil legal systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Immigration law, specifically as it relates to the intersection of criminal and immigration law.
- Enmeshed penalties and collateral consequences triggered by criminal-legal system contact related to housing access, employment/occupational license access, public benefits access, or healthcare access.
- Best practices in socially and culturally competent representation of marginalized people.
- Jurisprudence, criminal and civil law and procedures, including constitutional and statutory law.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Effective techniques for presentation of cases in court or to effectively present facts and precedents verbally and in writing in law related matters.
- Policies, practices, procedures and legal terminology related to court system.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- May be required to develop knowledge of and adhere to federal and state laws requiring the confidential handling of certain health information.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Analyzing and appraising facts, policies, procedures and legal precedents in area of specialty.
- Both verbal and written communication, including presentations.
- Exercise sound judgement.
- Communicate effectively across lines of difference with others.
- Conduct legal research and analysis, both manually and electronically.
- Present facts, precedents and arguments verbally and in writing and apply negotiation skills.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Work well under pressure and exercise tact in trying situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & OTHER INFORMATION:
The PDO is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. The PDO strongly encourages candidates of all identities, experiences, abilities and communities to apply. All applicants should be dedicated to working in and sustaining an environment that enables staff and clients to feel empowered, valued, respected, and safe. In considering applicants, the PDO values an applicant's experience and/or thoughtfulness in working with people from communities that experience marginalization.
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
Travis County employees play an important role in business continuity. As such, employees can be assigned to business continuity efforts outside of normal job functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
The anticipated start date for this position is December 7, 2020.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday
Department: Public Defender Office
Location: 507 W. 11th St., Austin
Criminal, Education and Employment Background Check Required.
Apply here: https://www.traviscountytx.gov/human-
More info: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/traviscounty/job_bulletin.cfm?jobID=2892831&sharedWindow=0
||This listing expires on: 11/27/2020