Deputy Public Defender
The Mission of the Public Defender's Office is to provide complete, quality legal representation to indigent defendants who are faced with a possible jail sentence and are charged with a municipal ordinance violation in the Aurora Municipal Court. The Public Defender's Office is governed by the Public Defender Commission, which ensures that indigent clients are represented in accordance to its strict guidelines.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Chief Public defender, provides professional legal counsel to and defends indigent clients in cases brought before the Municipal Court.
• Represents indigent defendants in cases brought before the municipal court charged with municipal ordinance violations in the Aurora Municipal Court
• Examines evidence, reviews, prepares and presents cases
• Counsels clients on legal rights and responsibilities
• Initiates and defends appeals in appellate courts, when appropriate
• Works on numerous trials and hearings, client interviews, motions, and/or appeals
• Works with court staff to see that cases are handled in an efficient and timely manner
• Follows established court procedures
• Performs additional duties as assigned by the Chief Public Defender or Chief Deputy Public Defender