DIRECTOR OF LEGAL SERVICES UNIT PUBLIC DEFENDER
division of public Defender services
director of legal services unit (Public Defender)
open to the public
November 19, 2020
state of connecticut
The Division of Public Defender Services is seeking applicants for the position of Director of Legal Services Unit. The Legal Services Unit is responsible for all Division of Public Defender Services appellate matters, which includes both direct appeals from trials and appeals in habeas matters. The Director is responsible for the management of the Legal Services Unit, with offices located in Waterbury and Hartford Connecticut
This position will supervise a staff of approximately 13 which includes Attorneys and Support Staff. The Director carries an appellate caseload, reviews and assigns appellate cases, identifies emerging legal issues and assists the Chief Public Defender in identifying issues appropriate for amicus filings. The Director will work with field office attorneys to preserve issues for appeal and will develop and implement trainings on appellate procedure and practice
162,490 with full State benefits
Overview of Qualifications
A law degree from an accredited law school and admitted to the Connecticut Bar and have been actively practicing for at least ten (10) years of which includes extensive experience in appellate work.
Applicants must follow the following instructions in submitting their interest in this position:
- Cover letter and employment application, Found at https://portal.ct.gov/OCPD/Employment/Employment-Opportunities
- Current resume and Attorney Questionnaire, Found at https://portal.ct.gov/OCPD/Employment/Employment-Opportunities
- References: Up to Three written professional recent references. Only references submitted with the application package will be considered. Applicants ARE NOT to have references make phone calls or direct letters to Commission Members. Additional references for further contact may be included on the Attorney Questionnaire
- Brief Response to the Following Supplemental Information
PLEASE SUBMIT ENTIRE APPLICATION PACKAGE AS ONE SCANNED DOCUMENT.
- Describe how your experience and background relates to this position, please provide specific examples.
- Describe your management/supervisory and/or leadership experience.
- Identify 3 emerging issues in criminal law and explain how you would work with agency legal staff to develop these issues in case law.
Applications will be accepted via email only and should be submitted to:
Diane Fitzpatrick, Director of Human Resources
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS AT December 3, 2020
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Division of Public Defender Services is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.