Criminal Defense Investigator
We are looking for a new team member to join us who shares our passion for social justice and uncovering hidden stories. Those who have done investigative reporting, social work, work in the mental health field, or any other jobs that require interviewing, research, and writing may be well suited for this position.
The criminal defense investigator will serve two primary functions:
1. Investigate the facts and circumstances of the alleged crime by gathering
documentary evidence and interviewing witnesses.
2. Conduct mitigation (life history) investigation for sentencing.
• Consult with attorneys to develop theories of the case and case strategy
• Locate and interview witnesses in person
• Prepare detailed reports based on interviews
• Prepare and maintain witness lists, timelines, and other case documents based on an ongoing investigation
• Keep orderly case file, documenting all steps of casework
• Extensive research, record collection, and organization
• Conduct background/criminal history searches via databases, social media, courthouse searches, media outlets, etc.
• Maintain contact with attorneys and investigative team to provide regular case updates
• Assist attorneys with trial prep and testify in court
• Serve subpoenas
• Organize and prioritize caseload, manage calendar in order to complete work in a timely and efficient manner
• Assist team members with record collection, clerical duties, and other support
• Develop and maintain relationships with court clerks, records custodians, and others who help our team with information gathering
• Recognize and document symptoms of mental illness
• Review and synthesize case materials, providing well-organized, clear information to attorneys