Investigator or Assistant Investigator, DOE
Federal Public Defender - District of Oregon
Are you innovative, intellectually curious, and looking for satisfying work with a mission? Do you have exceptional organizational skills, and flexibility to function in varied capacities as is required in a small branch office? The Federal Public Defender (Eugene Branch) is accepting applications for a full-time Assistant Investigator or Investigator (depending on qualifications and experience) to support zealous advocacy for indigent defendants charged in federal cases assigned to the Eugene Branch.
• Assist attorneys with client contact. Inform clients of case status and court appearances. Answer general inquiries according to office policy.
• Assist with bail hearings.
• Participate in case management functions, calendar, and docket control.
• Support attorneys with reviewing and analyzing discovery and other case documentation.
• Develop investigation plans and identify areas for investigation.
• Locate, view, photograph, and retrieve evidence.
• Gather and maintain records.
• Investigate the client’s background for mitigation. When appropriate, prepare a mitigation report for submission to the prosecutor or court.
• Assist attorneys at hearings and trials by evaluating testimony and coordinating witnesses and documents.
• Interview expert and fact witnesses.
• Provide litigation and general case support, including managing and analyzing paper documents and their scanned paper equivalents, managing and analyzing electronically stored information, and preparing electronic courtroom presentations for hearings or trial, including by:
• Utilizing litigation support software such as OneNote, CaseMap, TimeMap, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and Excel, to aid in pre-trial preparation and courtroom presentations.
• Recommending additions and modifications to current tools and assessing newly implemented technology and work flow processes.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should e-mail a letter of interest that includes a description of relevant technological skills; a resume; a relevant writing sample; and three references, in a single .pdf format document to the attention of:
Travis Southworth-Neumeyer, Personnel Administrator
Subject: Investigator – Eugene
Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. All responses will remain confidential. Only candidates in consideration for this position will be contacted.
We encourage applications from individuals with diverse perspectives, especially people historically underrepresented in the practice of law.
The Federal Public Defender’s Office is committed to improving diversity in the legal profession. The nature of our work leads us to recruit colleagues who demonstrate experience with, knowledge of, and sensitivity to the needs of culturally diverse and systemically oppressed populations.
The Federal Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls please.