Assistant Federal Public Defender - 5+ Years Experience
Federal Public Defender - District of Oregon
Do you seek rewarding work with a social justice mission? The Federal Public Defender for the District of Oregon is accepting applications from experienced criminal defense attorneys to join our Portland Office as an Assistant Federal Public Defender to advocate for indigent defendants facing criminal charges in federal court.
• Represent indigent individuals charged with violating federal criminal statutes by handling all stages of federal criminal trial matters in the district court.
• Frequently appear in court before both magistrate judges and district court judges. Court appearances include: initial appearances, pretrial release hearings, motion hearings, trials, sentencings, appeals, and probation violation proceedings.
• Advocate for clients from diverse backgrounds, including those with histories of trauma, mental health, and substance abuse issues.
• Work in teams with investigators, paralegals, legal assistants, social workers, and contracted experts.
• Support clients with holistic problem?solving during pretrial, trial, and sentencing proceedings, as well as with reentry into the community.
• Write persuasive briefs to achieve client goals and work for improvement in the law.
• Maintain frequent client contact in person, by phone, and in writing.
This is a full?time attorney position with federal judiciary salary and benefits based on qualifications and experience. Starting salary ranges from $79,648 to $161,882 based on experience and qualifications in accordance to the Defender Services Office 2021 AFPD Salary charts. AFPD salary is subject to merit and cost of living increases. Current federal employees are subject to salary matching rules per Judiciary policy.
Compensation also includes 10 paid federal holidays, 13 paid sick days annually, and 13 paid vacation days annually (to start), health insurance, life insurance, retirement contribution, and the Thrift Savings Plan. More information on federal judiciary employee benefits can be found at https://www.uscourts.gov/careers/benefits
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should e?mail a resume, a letter of interest, a writing sample, and three references in a .pdf document to the attention of:
Travis Southworth?Neumeyer, Personnel Administrator
Subject: AFPD – Portland
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. One or more AFPD positions may be filled from this and from the other active AFPD announcement for our office, subject to budget approval. Competitive candidates will be invited to interview either in person or via Skype. All responses will remain confidential. Only candidates in consideration for this position will be contacted.
We encourage applications from individuals with diverse perspectives, especially people historically underrepresented in the practice of law.
The Federal Public Defender’s Office is committed to improving diversity in the legal profession. The nature of our work leads us to recruit colleagues who demonstrate experience with, knowledge of, and sensitivity to the needs of culturally diverse and systemically oppressed populations.
The Federal Public Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls please.