Capital Fact Investigator-San Angelo, Texas
Regional Public Defender Office
Local Government Corporation
Chief Public Defender
To Apply: Send resume, references and summary of investigative experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mission, Vision and Values of the R.P.D.O.
Advocating the value of our clients’ lives
Ending the death penalty one life at a time
All voices are equal as we work together with a common goal
We serve the good of the client, not our egos
We search for individualized ways to connect with and represent each client
We are determined and persistent
We honor the humanity of clients, victims, families, and one another
Under the general supervision of the Chief Public Defender, is responsible for interviewing witnesses, clients and victims in the course of a comprehensive investigation of the crime charged against out client; obtains, preserves, records and analyzes evidence for the defense of clients represented by the Public Defender's Office; locates witnesses for the defense; and other duties as assigned. The Investigator conducts an independent comprehensive investigation of the crimes charged, without regard to confession, overwhelming evidence, or any circumstances of the offense.
- Reviews and digests all discovery in a timely manner.
- Prepares written reports/memoranda for all important aspects of the discovery and submits such to team members.
- Plans, directs and conducts investigations to support the legal defense of capital murder cases.
- Conducts an independent investigation of the state’s case, testing the strength and reliability, regardless of the appearance of guilt or the quantity and quality of the State’s evidence.
- Conducts a review of the crime scene whenever possible, locates witnesses and if necessary, waits on witnesses for interview.
- Identifies, locates and interviews witnesses, victim’s family and friends, law enforcement officials and representatives of other agencies to gather information on events surrounding cases.
- Have general knowledge and a commitment to learn the components of intellectual disability so as to look for signs of such while interviewing witnesses.
- At the direction of the attorneys, contacts and maintains liaison with outside agencies and expert witnesses as reference resources for potential testimony in highly specialized fields in consultation with the team and administration.
- Locates, obtains, evaluates and preserves documentary evidence from a variety of sources.
- Confers with attorneys on points of law and procedure.
- Writes reports and memoranda of contacts and findings including statements, scene descriptions and analysis of physical evidence.
- Conducts an independent investigation of all known extraneous conduct as well as that identified by the state, regardless of the appearance of guilt or wrong- doing.
- Input important investigation information into the trial notebook.
- Contribute to the narrative of the case through investigation of the offense and/or extraneous conduct.
- Appears as a witness and testifies at trials, hearings and motions, if necessary.
- Participates in training sessions as requested.
- Prepares, presents, and maintains records and reports constituting full documentation of the work done in each case.
- Performs other job-related duties, within reason and capabilities, as directed
Capital Fact Investigator-San Angelo, Texas
||Regional Public Defender for Capital Cases-Local Government Corporation
|Posting Start Date:
- Associates Degree required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Three years of substantial criminal investigative experience, paralegal experience, or related education, training and/or investigative experience which provides the knowledge and skill requirements;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Valid Texas driver's license and reliable transportation;
- An ability and willingness to travel extensively including overnight
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the techniques, principles and methods used in criminal investigations;
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of screening, evaluating and preparing evidence and exhibits for trial;
- Knowledge of the Texas Penal Code and the Constitution; and general knowledge of the criminal justice system, state department of corrections and related agencies.
- Ability to keep accurate notes and records;
- Ability to prepare and present clear, concise and comprehensive reports;
- Ability to obtain information through interview and interrogation; and the ability to assess the credibility of witnesses;
- Ability to gather and analyze facts and evidence and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to adjust to workload changes and work under stress to meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload to manager cases efficiently within the structure of a 40-hour work week
- Skill in communicating effectively with diverse groups of individuals utilizing tact and diplomacy
- Ability to operate a personal computer, Microsoft Office Suite and basic office equipment;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow team members, representatives of other agencies, clients, family member of clients and the general public.
- Ability to comport and comply with RPDO policy, procedures and methods;
- Possess initiative and the ability to self-start and not wait on direction;
- Willingness to learn and ask for help from his/her team or others within RPDO;
- Willingness to do work which reflect the Mission, Vision and Values of the RPDO
- Basic positive office behavior with respect to time, attendance, attitude, setting aside ego to be a team player and cooperating with Administration.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical requirements include lifting/carrying 25 lbs. occasionally; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, walking, reaching and handling to perform the essential functions. Must possess a valid driver’s license, liability insurance as required by law and be able to safely operate a vehicle in furtherance of job requirements.
||This listing expires on: 5/9/2021