Public Defender of Marion County seeks Executive Director
Apply by March 16, 2021
Our mission is to provide zealous advocacy and proficient criminal defense to clients who qualify for our services.
The Public Defender of Marion County (PDMC) is a nonprofit law firm based in Salem, OR that defends adults in trial-level criminal court and alleged mentally ill persons in civil commitment hearings. PDMC seeks an Executive Director to lead our team and build on our reputation of providing high-quality advocacy.
Established in 2007, PDMC contracts with Oregon’s Public Defense Services Commission to represent qualifying clients in Marion County Circuit Court. PDMC has an annual budge of approximately $3M. PDMC employs a diverse staff of 25 people including attorneys, administrative staff, legal assistants, and investigators. The organization is governed by a seven-member Board of Trustees, with members appointed by the Chief Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court, the Oregon State Bar, Marion County Board of Commissioners, and members serving at large.
: Minimum 3 years of senior management experience or equivalent. Management experience includes demonstrated leadership in public defense, supervising and supporting staff, creating a collegial workplace, implementing and maintaining office policies, communicating with criminal justice stakeholders, and working with a Board of Trustees.
- Knowledge of the law: Experience in public defense, criminal law, and trial advocacy. Ability to advice on Oregon’s Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Communication: Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, including internal communications (with staff and the Board) and external communications (with criminal justice stakeholders).
- Advocacy: Understanding of trends in public defense and criminal justice and an ability to advocate for systemic change at the county and state level on behalf of PDMC and our clients.
- Public Interest: Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income communities and other disenfranchised groups.
- Financial Management: Familiar with nonprofit financial management principles and experience managing organizational finances.
- Juris Doctor (JD): Licensed to practice law in Oregon (or ability to become licensed).
Salary rage of $105,000 to $120,000 depending on experience, plus excellent benefits.
by March 16, 2021 by submitting the following:
Send via email as a PDF to PDMC’s office manager Cathy Hoffman
email@example.com / Subject line: PDMC Executive Search
- A cover letter that reflects how your experience, skills, and commitment qualify you to become the Executive Director of PDMC, and
- A complete chronological resume, and
- An essay up to 300 words on how you would work to support and retain diverse staff.