Licensed Social Worker, Criminal Defense
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Assigned to our trial office in Grand Junction, Colorado, this position will be working with adult clients charged with criminal offenses. The position assists defense teams in our Western Slope regional offices from Durango to Steamboat Springs and Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs
. This is a Licensed Social Worker (LSW), which requires the application of fundamental theories of psychosocial variables to assist in identifying the presence of physical or mental health impairments, substance abuse issues, family or other social history patterns affecting the client’s behavior and development. The Licensed Social Worker is the first level within the SW series wherein employees learn and apply policies, procedures, rules and regulations specific to the organization and relevant techniques, methods and/or theories of the profession.
Public Defender Social Workers serve as part of the defense team, and as such, are bound by the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct including rules regarding the attorney-client privilege and client confidentiality. Public Defender Social Workers perform duties and assume responsibility for case assignments under the specific direction, instruction and guidance of a defense attorney.
Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct assessments and compile psychosocial histories to develop recommendations concerning pretrial release, detention, case preparation, alternative placements, treatment options, conditions of probation or diversion, and sentencing and post-sentencing options, as appropriate.
- Conduct assessments to identify physical or mental health issues, substance abuse or other patterns potentially influencing the client’s development, personality or behavior. Document and interpret symptoms of mental and behavioral impairment to assist the defense in developing case strategies.
- Collect social and family histories through interviews and document review, including highly sensitive and confidential information. Identify psychosocial influences and patterns in the client’s development and behavior including, but not limited to, socio/cultural/economic status and behavioral health issues.
- Assist in obtaining and reviewing relevant records, evaluations or reports; and, analyze the significance of information relevant to the client’s circumstances and case. Where appropriate, assist the defense team in documenting and organizing digital and physical files of information collected.
- Assist the defense team in identifying medical or mental health experts to further examine, evaluate and testify regarding the client’s physical or mental health issues. Assist in interpreting evaluation findings.
- Serve as a collaborative member of the defense team: Consult with attorneys on the appropriate approach to the case; maintain regular and timely communications with the team; provide support to the client; and, identify and advocate for appropriate options for the client.
- Participate in pretrial and sentencing hearings, prepare reports, and provide additional support as requested by the defense attorney.
- Keep current on statewide resources available and relevant to client needs such as, treatment programs and alternative placements. Conduct research necessary to ensure resources are current.
- Attend multi-agency and multi-disciplinary staffing meetings regarding the client.
- May supervise and mentor student interns enrolled in a graduate-level social work education program.
- Requires frequent travel within the State of Colorado. Assigned to the Grand Junction Office, covers the Western slope region from Durango to Steamboat Springs and Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs.
Typical Hiring Pay Rate for Entry-level: LSW $4,264 Monthly; LCSW $4,426 Monthly
For a summary of employee benefits (health, dental, life and disability) please visit: https://stateofcoloradobenefits.com/
. Other benefits include retirement plan options through Colorado PERA www.copera.org
, ten paid holidays a year, and paid-time-off for personal and sick leave. Additional information about the Office of the Colorado State Public Defender can be found at: http://www.coloradodefenders.us/
The Office of the Colorado State Public Defender provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Consistent with this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including the application and selection process. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation, please contact Laura Darrow at, email@example.com
Licensed Social Worker, Criminal Defense
||Office of the Colorado State Public Defender
||Grand Junction, CO
||$4,264 - $5,117 Monthly
|Posting Start Date:
||Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university educational program in social work;
- Licensure to practice social work (LSW) in the State of Colorado within 90 days of employment.
- Training or experience in a criminal defense system.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified individuals must e-mail a resume and cover letter to Kristi.Rudy@coloradodefenders.us by 11:59 p.m. Mountain time, Tuesday, April 27, 2021. Please highlight your specific interest in working with adults in a criminal public defense system and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for the position.
||This listing expires on: 6/29/2021