Below are the NAPD Focus Areas and Goals for 2014-2019. The strategies to achieve these goals are undertaken through out Amicus, Education, Fines & Fees, IT, Juvenile, MyGideon, Racial Justice, Steering, Systems Builders and Workload Committees, as well as the work of our Ethics Counselors, Strike Force and Leadership Institute Workgroup. Please refer to these committee pages for more information and points of contact.
FOCUS AREA: MEMBERSHIP
- NAPD’s membership reaches all public defense systems.
- NAPD is affordable and accessible to all.
- NAPD serves all practice areas and professions.
- NAPD is clearing-house for jobs in public defense systems.
FOCUS AREA: EDUCATION
- Education including webinars, blogs and live programs serve all members and system members.
- MyGideon is the best resource in the public defender community.
- NAPD becomes the primary defender trainer for leaders and supervisors.
- NAPD is available to build training programs in other jurisdictions.
- NAPD develops and trains on the ethics of public defense professionals, including social workers, psychologists and others.
FOCUS AREA: WORKLOAD & RESOURCES
- NAPD leads the effort to end excessive workloads.
- NAPD advocates for resources for defender organizations, including assigned counsel and contract systems that will enable them to provide high quality advocacy.
- NAPD identifies best practices that use evidence-based policies to improve client outcomes.
FOCUS AREA: LITIGATIN & REFORM
- NAPD supports organizational and individual members when they are under threat of a sanction.
- NAPD supports member organization on litigation of public defense issues.
- NAPD provides assistance for advocating for policy change.
- NAPD provides resources to the community to proactively address systemic issues like mass incarceration and racial disparity.
FOCUS AREA: GOVERNANCE & LEADERSHIP
- NAPD builds an inclusive culture that remains cutting edge, virtual, grass-roots and client-centered.
- Leadership structure is national in scope and embraces diversity including representation from all delivery systems.
- NAPD has an effective business model.
FOCUS AREA: BECOMING “THE VOICE” OF THE PUBLIC DEFENSE COMMUNITY
- NAPD becomes the leading voice for public defense issues.
- NAPD sets the national public defense agenda and advocates its message and values to policy makers and media.
- NAPD facilitates the sharing of knowledge and expertise of its members with each other and as part of the national conversation.